• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft by check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsaunders84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I would like to know what could happen to me. I wrote a couple bad checks that equaled out to about 800.00 including all fees. I have paid it down to 397.00. What could happen to me in court on thursday?

justalayman

what court? civil? Criminal? have you been arraigned yet?

about the only thing I can tell you about your day in court tomorrow is there will be a judge. To be able to answer anything else would require more information.

CavemanLawyer

If this is your first setting they will most likely reset the case to give you some time to pay off some more of the money. They may require you to make arrangements for hiring or being appointed an attorney though.

The degree of misdemeanor depends on the amount stolen not including the fees. Since this is surely more than $500, you are charged with a class A misdemeanor so you are looking at a maximum punishment of one year in county jail (have to serve 50%) and/or a fine of $4,000 or up to two years probation. Unless you accept a plea, none of this would be imposed at the first setting. You of course have a right to have an attorney and a trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">