• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by check & jumping bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpplease18

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a friend who was charged with multiple counts of "forgery of financial instrument", theft by check, and theft of service (?) back in '97-'99. He ended up serving 2 years in prison for a number of the charges, but jumped bail and fled the country when he was charged for the rest of the charges. He's been away for 5 years and is interested in coming back to Texas. I realize that he will now be considered a fugitive if he returns, but what I'm wondering is if there's a statute of limitations on charges such as these? What would happen if he were to turn himself in? I've no doubt he'd be incarcerated, but what would be the time frame? Should he remain out of the country? I believe that it's safe to assume that there's no legal way around these charges, but I'd like to find out what he should do in his own best interest. He has a young daughter to think of now as well so he's trying to redeem himself.

CdwJava

He's a fugitive. The SOL does NOT apply. He will go to prison and he will serve his previous time AND face brand new charges.

What a fine role-model.

- Carl

H

helpplease18

Yes, I understand that what he did was incredibly stupid, but it was nearly 10 years ago and it would have amounted to life in prison because of the "3 strikes" law. That's why he ran. If he had to deal with a few years of imprisonment, then I'd do my best to convince him to turn himself in. Life though? That just seems rather extreme for non-violent crimes. Is there any way around the 3 strikes law? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">