• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by deception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tchiavaroli

Pennsylvania.

Purchased a new vehicle from a dealership in York PA. I gave them two post dated checks for a deposit on the new car. The first check for $500.00 they deposited and it cleared the bank. After they cashed the first check I recieved a call from the dealership informing me that they did not title the vehicle properly and entered the wrong weight classification on the truck. In order to protect myself and to ensure that all the paper work was processed properly I stopped payment on the second check which was for $1390.00 until they presented me with some documentation that the truck was titled properly. I told their representative that I would wire secured funds once they took care of the title. About two weeks went by and there collections department went ahead and filed a criminal complaint with the York county police. I spoke to the investigator and told him why I stopped payment and that I would pay the rest of the money as long as the tilte was in order. He said that the would talk ot he dealership and get back to me. He never got back to me and I received a criminal complaint int he mail charging me with theft by deception. I never meant to decieve anyone I just wanted to make sure that the paperwork was inorder before releasing the rest of the deposit.
What are my legal options? I have to attend a preliminary hearing in July 05.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">