• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft By Deception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm in Georgia.

I charged a computer on the credit card of my previous employer. It was around $1400. A few months later, I paid for it using a company check to the credit card company. I left that job about a month ago.

I just got a summons to appear in court in two weeks on the charge of Theft By Deception, Georgia code 16-8-3.

I'm terrified and don't know what to do. Please advise.

weenor

You really need a lawyer because in Georgia anything over $500.00 is considered a felony...that means possible prison time.

Dumbest thing I've ever done, no doubt.

Ohreallynow? said:
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-8-3

Punishment: all theft crimes except shoplifting are punished as a misdemeanor if property value is less than $500 (with exceptions). If the value of the items is more than $500, then 1 to 10 years in prison is the punishment.

I would be obtaining an attorney if I was foolish enough to do what you did.

Sorry, I just cannot tell a lie, it was really dumb. :(
I absolutely deserve that. It was the DUMBEST thing I've ever done. I got the notice today, so I will start looking for an attorney tomorrow.

This would certainly be a first (and last) offense. Will that play in my favor? Also, I live in Georgia and the company I worked for is in Georgia, but I made the purchase in question in the state of Alabama, would that have any impact?

I know that jail time is possible for a felony, but is there any way for me to find out the sentence of previous cases heard by this same court?

Thanks.

Last edited:

weenor

allfiredup said:
I absolutely deserve that. It was the DUMBEST thing I've ever done. I got the notice today, so I will start looking for an attorney tomorrow.

This would certainly be a first (and last) offense. Will that play in my favor? I know that jail time is possible for a felony, but is there any way for me to find out the sentence of previous cases heard by this same court?

Thanks.
A local attorney is the only person who can give you any idea what the judge in your case MIGHT do. However, I have seen embezzlement cases with much larger amounts get probation and restitution, so it can happen. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">