+ Reply to Thread

Theft By Deception

I'm in Georgia.

I charged a computer on the credit card of my previous employer. It was around $1400. A few months later, I paid for it using a company check to the credit card company. I left that job about a month ago.

I just got a summons to appear in court in two weeks on the charge of Theft By Deception, Georgia code 16-8-3.

I'm terrified and don't know what to do. Please advise.

[url]http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-8-3[/url]

Punishment: all theft crimes except shoplifting are punished as a misdemeanor if property value is less than $500 (with exceptions). If the value of the items is more than $500, then 1 to 10 years in prison is the punishment.

I would be obtaining an attorney if I was foolish enough to do what you did.

Sorry, I just cannot tell a lie, it was really dumb.

You really need a lawyer because in Georgia anything over $500.00 is considered a felony...that means possible prison time.

Dumbest thing I've ever done, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohreallynow?
    [url]http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-8-3[/url]

Punishment: all theft crimes except shoplifting are punished as a misdemeanor if property value is less than $500 (with exceptions). If the value of the items is more than $500, then 1 to 10 years in prison is the punishment.

I would be obtaining an attorney if I was foolish enough to do what you did.

Sorry, I just cannot tell a lie, it was really dumb.
    I absolutely deserve that. It was the DUMBEST thing I've ever done. I got the notice today, so I will start looking for an attorney tomorrow.

This would certainly be a first (and last) offense. Will that play in my favor? Also, I live in Georgia and the company I worked for is in Georgia, but I made the purchase in question in the state of Alabama, would that have any impact?

I know that jail time is possible for a felony, but is there any way for me to find out the sentence of previous cases heard by this same court?

Thanks.

Last edited by allfiredup; 04-10-2006 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by allfiredup
    I absolutely deserve that. It was the DUMBEST thing I've ever done. I got the notice today, so I will start looking for an attorney tomorrow.

This would certainly be a first (and last) offense. Will that play in my favor? I know that jail time is possible for a felony, but is there any way for me to find out the sentence of previous cases heard by this same court?

Thanks.
    A local attorney is the only person who can give you any idea what the judge in your case MIGHT do. However, I have seen embezzlement cases with much larger amounts get probation and restitution, so it can happen. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread