• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by employees (KS)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nicepants

State: Kansas

I work for a company that recently let some employees go. These employees have been using company property (laptops, computer equipment, etc) at their home for some time now.

They were supposed to turn in everything they had that belonged to the company last week. They turned in one laptop (less than half of what they've got). In addition, the night beofre they turned that in they came into their offices and took their belongings. Including taking all of the CDs in our music library. (The company provides online music streaming services)

Some of the CDs did belong to them, but 90% of them belong to the company. So far they have not been cooperative in returning the missing equipment. They claim that they have returned everything that belongs to the company.

My question is...should we call the local police and report the equipment as stolen? Or, as the new owner of the company would like to do, call a lawyer and have him write a demand letter to them (pursuing more of a civil suit type action).

Last edited:

racer72

The police would probably consider this a civil matter and not do much. The new owner's idea is the proper method, a demand letter for return of the equipment then use civil proceedings as necessary.

F

franklin2003

Did Your disgusting boss, not pay them on time, bounced the paychecks?

refuse to give them the promised raises?

What on earth did your company do to warrant such a response from your dedicated work force?

HUH?

N

Nicepants

Management

Actually we never did get paid on time, and the company still owes me a great deal of money. These people, however, were the ones in charge who were RESPONSIBLE for the late pays, and for our income taxes not being paid, and for multiple bills racking up & being paid late, etc, etc etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">