• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft of large sum of money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

streicher187

What is the name of your state? Pa

My relative died 3 years ago and the estate has been fought over ever since.. My mother is listed as the executor and there are 2 other women fighting to get their share.. We have proof that their mother is adopted and they should not get anything..
Now the problem.. While the estate was being settled she was advised to leave the check book at the law office and sign a few checks so her lawyers secretary could pay any incomming bills.. to our suprise the secretary took it apon herself to write out checks to herself totaling 6 figures.. Now there is no money in the account.. The lawyer has since fired his secretary and when we took a bill to him to be paid he told us it was not his problem, there was no money in the account to pay for them.. Also he informed us it was our responsibility to get the money back she stoled(even though one of the stolen checks was writen out to them and put into their account to cover money she stoled from them).. They now inform us the when they lose the case it will be my mother responsibilty to replace all the money that was stolen from the account..

I was wondering if the lawyer has any responsibilty in this and what would be the best course of action to take to recover the money...

HomeGuru

streicher187 said:
What is the name of your state? Pa

My relative died 3 years ago and the estate has been fought over ever since.. My mother is listed as the executor and there are 2 other women fighting to get their share.. We have proof that their mother is adopted and they should not get anything..

**A: there is no estate law that states that an adopted child get nothing. On the contrary, an adopted child has the same rights a a birth child.

S

streicher187

theft

The police are not involved.. for over a month the lawyers said they will handle it.. now they are saying different..

By adopted I mean that their birth mother is the one related to the deceased.. the adopted parents are not related.. The women claimed that their mother was raised by another family but never adopted but we found proof she was..

Beth3

The lawyers are saying they will handle it how??? They obviously aren't going to lift a finger to try and get your money back for you, and certainly don't appear to be operating in their client's best interests.

You need to contact the police and report this crime right away. I also suggest you consult with another attorney about this entire situation immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">