• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ghostrelm

What is the name of your state?
Minnesota, St. Paul, Ramsey County

I have a question concerning items that were "stolen" from me. I will try to explain this as clearly as I can. First, some background information.

My father and mother(who are divorced) purchased a car for me(96 Acura Integra) last March. Unfortunately for me, the dealership transfered the title into my father's name, even though the dealership was supposed to transfer it into my name. My father decided sometime late summer/early fall that I did not deserve this vehicle, so he purchased a new key from the dealership, tracked my vehicle down through a parking ticket(the car was registered to him so the ticket was mailed to his address), and took it in the middle of the night.

The last time we had a verbal conversation was a few days after the car was taken.

I realize that the title was in his name, even though I was the official purchaser on the paperwork from the dealership(except the title), so I have let go of any hope of reclaiming the car.

Although, I purchased with my own money a car stereo that was installed by Best Buy, total value including parts, labor and tax was 278.93. I have all the receipts from Best Buy documenting my purchases.

I have contacted him several times, the last time through email, asking for my stereo back, including all of the components that were used to install, wire, etc. I have received no response from him. The last time I contacted him I said that if he would not return it peacefully, I would seek assistance through the police. Still no answer.

I still have the factory stereo w/speakers in my possession. I was planning on simply returning the factory stereo to him in exchange for mine.

This is where I am stuck. How do I go about getting back my "stolen" property?? Do I simply call the sheriff in his county and tell the sheriff the situation, and ask him to accompany me to my father's workplace, and confront him with the receipts?

What if my father has already sold the vehicle? Am I entitled to my $278.93 if he has sold the car?

Thank you everybody for your help in advance, this will bring much needed closure to our relationship, and will help me to move on and not have to think about my father as much.

~Zakk

FlyingRon

1. He paid for the car.
2. He had the legal ownership reflected on the title.

Sounds like your options are limited.

Your property isn't stolen. You attached it to something that doesn't belong to you. It pretty much becomes part of the car.

garrula lingua

Ghost,
concentrate on getting your life together; forget about the car and its accessories - they belong to your father.

Hold your head up and make it on your own.

I don't know of any cop who will take that as a theft (as it wasn't).
I don't know of any Prosecutor who would pursue your father.

They would laugh at you & you would appear to be a spoiled brat who was stamping his little feet ...

S

Scott Dutcher

Zakk,

Your improvements to your father's car are your property, not your father's. The best solution would be to continue trying to get your property back by speaking with your father. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider conciliation (small claims) court. In Minnesota we have an excellent small claims process. Most of the time, just filing a case in court will light a fire under an opposing party and get things resolved.

For more information on small claims court visit:
http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=313

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">