• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft of service in arkansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chillyark501

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas is the state. Hello, i am just wondering a few things about a situation i have. I bought a car as is from a dealer. 3 weeks later it broke down, i immediately called him and asked if he could help me get it fixed. he said yes, and had his transmission guy work on it. I called the mechanic and asked about the car, he said it was already done and back with the dealer. I went to the dealer and picked my car up, using my second key. When i got home i got a call telling me that the dealer filed charges on theft of service, apparently i was supposed to compensate him back for the work. but we never had it in writing, or anything saying i would pay him for that matter. he stole my registration and bill of sale out of my car. and is sueing me also for the work. Is this justice????? what the heck, what a back stabber to go do that. and the guy is 60 years old, a jury or judge would look kindly upon him seeing as how im only 20. How can i fight this? or is this even valid charge? he just filed yesterday, whats going to happen now? will i get a warrant? will i be arrested? can i call and file charges on him for him filing false charges on me? i need to know everything. please let me know im reallt freaked out i dont want to go to jail for something i didnt do. thank you for taking time to read this, i hope some of you can help.

dave33

It would seem to me you have been informed of the complaint to give you a chance to pay before criminal action is taken against you. By your own admission you did not pay for services rendered.

Whether or not you or I consider the situation "just" is not relevant. It seems obvious that you did not handle the situation correctly.

I realize you are frustrated and feel ripped off. The problem is, is that "as is" means exactly that. goodluck.

chillyark501

yeah but he said he was going to pay for it, then changed his mind at the last minute. dont you think if he wanted to make sure he got paid back he would of made me sign my title over or sign a contract to guarantee payment? there was nothing signed, just all he said she said.

dave33

yeah but he said he was going to pay for it, then changed his mind at the last minute. dont you think if he wanted to make sure he got paid back he would of made me sign my title over or sign a contract to guarantee payment? there was nothing signed, just all he said she said.
Most likely what he was thinking (of course I cannot say for sure)
is that he would give you the car back when he got paid if full.
That is how many car repair deals are done.

I think it very likely you will end up paying for the repair. I also
think if you can avoid any criminal charges (by paying) that may
be in your best interest.

The bottom line here is that I see no reasonable defense.

chillyark501

and the car wasnt even fixed when i got it back, im taking it to another trans guy to see if the real work was done. cant that help me in the case if they didnt fix the problem?

dave33

and the car wasnt even fixed when i got it back, im taking it to another trans guy to see if the real work was done. cant that help me in the case if they didnt fix the problem?
That certainly sounds like a legitimate issue. The problem is that you
basically stole the car so when you realized the problem you could
not complain. Now you have much less credibility because of the
whole situation. Whatever you say will be suspect and will be believed
to have ulterior motives.

dave33

so what do you think? should i take my case to speedy trial?
You are getting way ahead of the situation. You have not even been
charged yet. When/if you do I strongly suspect a trial will have nothing
to do with this situation. There isn't much you can do now but let things
take whatever course they are going to take.

chillyark501

what if i have been? what will happen? what actions can i take to get no jail time? should i rep myself? should i run? lol kidding,i just want to know what is going to happen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">