• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft of Services?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgspace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Occurrence in Vermont

I'm being threatened with fraud and theft of services, 13 V.S.A. § 2582.

I live in New York and bought lift tickets from a ski resort in Vermont. Since I never received them in the mail, I had new ones printed at the window when I got to the resort. About two weeks later I received the original tickets and sold them online to someone else in New York. One of my neighbors in my building slid the the batch of mail containing these tickets under my door so I'm not sure if they received them by mistake and just held on to them, or if the resort sent me new ones.

It turns out the resort voided the original tickets when they printed new ones for me at the window, and now the purchaser is threatening me saying he'll have the resort prosecute me for fraud and theft of services. I didn't realize they voided the tickets or I wouldn't have sold them; I just figured they sent me the original tickets which I won't be using anyway so why not sell them.

A few questions:

1) Can the resort prosecute me for fraud and theft of services? The way I see it, I paid the resort for 8 tickets and they printed 16 but ended up voiding 8, meaning ultimately there were only 8 usable tickets for which they received full compensation, so does that still count as theft of services?

2) Would the person who bought the tickets from me also be prosecuted if I am? Reading 13 V.S.A. § 2582 Theft of Services it appears someone who obtains the service AND someone who sells the service are prosecutable under the law. Also, looking into this a bit more, it looks like the resorts are more interested in going after people who pay less than full value for lift tickets (ie: someone who buys or borrows someone's ticket/season pass at a discount) than the people who sell them, since the people who sell them already paid full price for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Occurrence in Vermont

I'm being threatened with fraud and theft of services, 13 V.S.A. § 2582.

I live in New York and bought lift tickets from a ski resort in Vermont. Since I never received them in the mail, I had new ones printed at the window when I got to the resort. About two weeks later I received the original tickets and sold them online to someone else in New York. One of my neighbors in my building slid the the batch of mail containing these tickets under my door so I'm not sure if they received them by mistake and just held on to them, or if the resort sent me new ones.

It turns out the resort voided the original tickets when they printed new ones for me at the window, and now the purchaser is threatening me saying he'll have the resort prosecute me for fraud and theft of services. I didn't realize they voided the tickets or I wouldn't have sold them; I just figured they sent me the original tickets which I won't be using anyway so why not sell them.

A few questions:

1) Can the resort prosecute me for fraud and theft of services? The way I see it, I paid the resort for 8 tickets and they printed 16 but ended up voiding 8, meaning ultimately there were only 8 usable tickets for which they received full compensation, so does that still count as theft of services?

2) Would the person who bought the tickets from me also be prosecuted if I am? Reading 13 V.S.A. § 2582 Theft of Services it appears someone who obtains the service AND someone who sells the service are prosecutable under the law. Also, looking into this a bit more, it looks like the resorts are more interested in going after people who pay less than full value for lift tickets (ie: someone who buys or borrows someone's ticket/season pass at a discount) than the people who sell them, since the people who sell them already paid full price for it.
You paid NOTHING for the 8 tickets you sold and you profited from them. You can be prosecuted by the state for selling the voided tickets and pocketing the money. Return the guy his money. If not then you will remain a thief.

cgspace

I AM returning his money. What I want to know is whether or not the resort can have me prosecuted for theft of services when as far as they're concerned their books are balanced, and whether or not he will also be prosecuted as he was attempting to "steal" services (as it were) by not paying the resort for said services.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I AM returning his money. What I want to know is whether or not the resort can have me prosecuted for theft of services when as far as they're concerned their books are balanced, and whether or not he will also be prosecuted as he was attempting to "steal" services (as it were) by not paying the resort for said services.
Actually he was not attempting to steal services. He thought he was using tickets purchased from you that were good. You were the one, if any, who engaged in a crime -- be it theft or fraud.

Just Blue

IMO. What you did was out-right theft to the party that you sold the EXTRA tickets . Plan on a visit from the police. And charges.

Have a nice day!!
Blue

SMH!! :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">