• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by taking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ebony500

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My daughter (at 18) was arrested for Theft by taking, was not convicted, paid it back, paid her fines and got probation for a year. The lawyer says she went with the "first offenders act" and she would not have a record once her probation was complete and she stayed of trouble. Her probation is finished and she went to get a criminal background check, to get a job, and the arrest is on her record. I thought going with the First Offenders Act it would not show up on her record. Please explain what the first offenders act actually does. I cannot find it anywhere in Georgia's code. Thanks for your time. :mad:

Bravo8

I don't know Georgia law, but you may have to petition the court to have the conviction expunged. Contact an attorney.

Whyte Noise

First off, your daughter was convicted. Thats why she had to serve the probation term. It she wouldn't have been convicted, she wouldn't have been SENTENCED to probation. She would have been "not guilty". Your lawyer is right... Under the Georgia First Offender Act, if you successfully complete your probationary period, the conviction does not show up on her record. However, the ARREST will still show up. Just not the conviction. It's two seperate issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">