• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft By Taking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Decatur_Man

Georgia

Okay here's my question. I was arrested because I was staying in someone's house. Another individual had left items(clothing) in the house that this individual did not want in her house any longer. She tried, unsuccessfully, for months to tell this individual to come pick up their stuff and they never did. She then told me to take the things out of her house. She did not care where I took them as long as they were gone since they were taking up space. The problem is the individual who the things belonged to was a friend of her roommates and so as not to anger her roommate she reported that there was a home invasion and that these items were stolen. She never implicated me and that was not the actual events that happened but I was charged with theft by taking since I had permission to be in the house. Now my question comes in should I plead innocent or guilty since I made a statement to the police outlining the entire course of events including why she made the false police report. Please help I go for arraignment tomorrow

stephenk

Well, did you steal the clothes? How did the police know to arrest you?

"She tried, unsuccessfully, for months to tell this individual to come pick up their stuff and they never did."

So how did the roommate know how to contact the person but not your friend?

Decatur_Man

The person who the lease was under knew how to contact the individual who's clothes they were through her roommate who was friends with the individual. Next the roommate knew how to contact that person and she did he just never came to get his stuff. And no I didn't steal anything. The person who's name the apartment was under told me to take the stuff out of the apartment. And finally the police knew my name because the roommate gave the police a list of names of the people who had been in and out of the house and when they asked me what happened I told them the truth since they were threatening to arrest my girlfriend who had nothing to do with it but they arrested her and took her two kids anyway

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">