• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft while in home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lacey724

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A friend of mine came into my uncle's house and stole two older U.S. coins valued at approx.$50.00 while we were home. We didn't notice they were missing for about a month. I know over a certain amount I believe it's $500 becomes a felony. Since we were in the home while this occurred, does that change the charge, if my uncles chooses to press them, from a misdemeanor to a felony since it occurred while we were here? :confused:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A friend of mine came into my uncle's house and stole two older U.S. coins valued at approx.$50.00 while we were home. We didn't notice they were missing for about a month. I know over a certain amount I believe it's $500 becomes a felony. Since we were in the home while this occurred, does that change the charge, if my uncles chooses to press them, from a misdemeanor to a felony since it occurred while we were here? :confused:
**A: that's no friend.

lacey724

theft

I am not really close friends with the person. But, no there is no proof of the crime yet. But, I just really wanted to know about the law of stealing while inside a occupied home. I keep trying to tell my uncle it does NOT become a felony because we were here. He insists I'm wrong. I think to become a felony it has to be over so much in value. He's saying because we were here it becomes a felony regardless of the value. That's my main question, if I am correct or not.

OHRoadwarrior

It does not appear any crime occurred. Ohio law requires this thing called evidence. Several years ago, my GF and I were at her friends and her friend filed charges against her for theft of cash. We were both sitting in the courtroom, while her friend was testifying. The PD asked the woman why she had pressed charges against my girlfriend, but not against me. Her reply had the judge laughing and the prosecutor wanting to crawl under the table. She said the prosecutor advised her not to press charges against me, because based on my address, I had plenty of money to hire a lawyer. I don't need to tell you the case was dismissed do I?

lacey724

theft

like i said regardless if he took them or not, if something is stolen out of your home while the homeowner was there does that charge then become a felony?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">