• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a threat?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aniken

What is the name of your state? HI

A client of mine kept stalling on paying for my service, so I said to him that "You have a criminal record, getting jailed and fined big money, if it is just because of this little amount you owe me and we have to to to court to settle it then it would be no thing good for you."

Now he said that was a threat and he would sue me for that.

My question is: Was I wrong to say that to him? Was I making a threat which is a crime?

Thank you for helping!

JETX

"Was I wrong to say that to him?"
*** Who knows?? Your 'statement' is of such poor grammar and structure that no one can understand it.

A

Aniken

Tks JETX,

I agree with your comment. Let me rephrase it:

Is it a threat (as in "I'll kill you if...") to say to someone that, "If you don't pay up I'll have to sue you"?

JETX

"Is it a threat (as in "I'll kill you if...") to say to someone that, "If you don't pay up I'll have to sue you"?"
*** You have the right to demand payment on a valid debt and to 'advise' the debtor that his/her failure could lead to your filing a suit. Threatening to take legal action to collect a debt is not 'actionable'.

A

Aniken

Thanks to both of you.

I like the term "promise" of dequeendistress. Also, JETX's "not 'actionable'" is clearer in the definition I have found:

threat: Capabilities, intentions, and attack methods of adversaries to exploit, or any circumstance or event with the potential to cause harm to, information or an information system.

I guess sooner or later we will run into someone who loves to talk smart and tough without understanding the real meaning of the technical or legal terms.

Aniken

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">