• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for not wearing Life Vest on PWC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waterboy11

What is the name of your state? Florida

Over the weekend I got a ticket for not wearing a life vest on a PWC. It was stupid for me, as I've lived a lake for 15 years and this is the first time I've ever went on a PWC without a life jacket... and I got caught, go figure.

It had rained that morning, the waters were pretty choppy, and there were hardly any boats out, and it was getting late... so why would the cops be out? Sure enough, they have nothing else better to do. They pulled their ticket books out before I even said a word, they were just determined to give me a ticket no matter what.

Anyways... I was thinking of taking them to court, and hope they don't show so I don't have to pay $65 worth of a stupid ticket. If I had the money, no problem... but I'm a college kid and money is hard to come by right now.

If they do show up.... could I use the defense that they lied to me? :) Honestly, I feel they did... one of the cops said "You could hit your head and the life vest could save your life." Which to me, is just a bunch of bull... First off, the seadoo had a carb problem and we couldn't even go over 10 mph on it because of it. What could I hit my head on? We were going in a straight line, slow, and just putting along. It would be hard for me to even try to hit my head on anything, let alone fall in the water. To top it off, if I had been wearing a life vest, it would have been a wakeboard vest, which only helps you float (barely), it does not turn you over if your head is in the water anyways.

So in other words, I can argue that the cop lied to me, which in my honest opinion, he did.

First time in 15 years I didn't wear a vest and got caught. Wasn't doing anything stupid, seadoo wouldn't go over 10 mph. Any hope in getting out of the ticket?

Sorry for the long story. :eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even if the office DID lie to you, how does that change the fact that you weren't wearing the required life vest? :rolleyes:

waterboy11

I didn't know if there was something like if the officer does some sort of misconduct (Like lie) I could get out of the ticket... something like if the officer doesn't read someone there rights, they get out of their crime.

I was in the wrong, the first wrong I have done in my 15 years of being on the water. It was a quick 5 minute ride. I know what I did was wrong, but to pay a $65 fine for it is a pretty big one, especially with the hard times and I'm trying to go to college.

I don't think the police office lied. Perhaps he gave an explanation for a law, and you disagreed with the explanation.

Either way, police officers are allowed to lie.

You have lived on a lake for 15 years. You know the law, you broke it ! Pay the fine and move on. Maybe the judge will let you make payments based on your income?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">