• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a tight spot, need info please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

examoeba

Atlanta, Georgia

I'm being accussed of a crime by my former business partner. We dissolved the business late last year and it was very nasty. I tried to discuss diving assets of the company, but could never nail him down to discuss. I finally ended up taking what I felt was my fair share. We had owned a landscaping company and I took several thousand dollars worth of equipment, but left roughly the same for him.

Anyway he has now filed charges against me for theft because a few of the things I took were paid originally from his personal account. A lot of the ones I left had been paid by my account.

Now I have charges against me and I'm gonna have to go to court. I have specific knowledge of this person committing tax fraud in 03 and 04, well in excess of $40k lied about on his return. I know because I did his taxes.

If I threaten him with this, say a call from a pay phone or something, what laws would I be breaking? As long as there's no concrete proof of it, it's my word against his, correct? An conversation recorded without my knowledge couldn't be used could it?

Thanks, I know I sound like a jerk, BUT I'M DESPERATE and this guy is far more crooked than I even dreamed of being! If the case makes it to court, I'm turning the jerk in immediately after anyway.

garrula lingua

That would be blackmail.

Just go to court and show proof that you and yoyo were in business together and show a list of your (prior) assets, and show how they were distributed. Try to explain to the Pros that this is a civil dispute. You do have some documents which show you were co-owner ?

P.S. You are just as guilty as he, for filing a fake return (you did the return for him). The consequences may be different, but you're both dirty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">