• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit on pressing charges for domestic violence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LinMarie21

In Michigan is there a time limit on pressing charges for domestic violence. My bf was arrested for it towards me, but I did not press charges. Can I still go back and change my mind and is there a time limit for doing so?

L

LinMarie21

this happened 4 days ago, I did not want to press charges because this would be his 3rd time in jail for domestic violence and I actually felt bad. Now he is threatening to press charges against me for domestic violence.

calatty

Unless there were injuries, they might not be all that interested by now. Alternatively, don't use the legal system to do what you can't do yourself. Get a restraining order against this guy and be done with him.

L

LinMarie21

Trust me, I definitely plan on getting a restraining order.

My sister came over the day after and took pictures of my two black eyes and various cuts and bruises. Would that make a difference?

You responded positively...

...to calatty's suggestion concerning the restraining saying you intended to do so. I suggest you also follow his further advice, "and be done with him."

Were you involved in his being jailed the two previous times? I hope not, but if you were the adage, "Only a fool makes the same mistake twice", comes to mind.

charlie

L

LinMarie21

yes i posted both these, but they are two different unrelated issues

the one with the EX is just that, the one about the domestic is the current bf, but thanks for accusing me

Hey, unrelated except they both involve YOU...

...is your middle name trouble? If I were you I might step back and take a look at my life for a moment. Are the problems you're experiencing external, or within your self?

Most people come here with a problem once in their life...and you come here with two in the same day? And then become defensive when that fact is pointed out!

charlie

L

LinMarie21

OK first of all I'm not getting defensive, I'm simply telling the truth.
Yes AMAZINGLY two unfortunate incidents happened recently in my life. So if you're saying that it's somehow my fault that my bf beat me up, then maybe you are the one who needs to step back and see what your problem is.

Listen up...

...LinMarie21, You're looking for validation for your actions rather than advice and I doubt you find it here. In your second post you said your B/F was going to bring charges against you for domestic violence. So did you hit him too? First?

You also never answered my question concerning the two previous domestic violence charges and your involvement in either of these?

And so far as my problem is concerned, it's brought on by prima dona's like you wanting sympathy where it's not due!

charlie

L

LinMarie21

Does anyone else have something to post that's worth reading?

L

LinMarie21

Counseling may help you

Why am I not suprised that you were arrested for stalking and harrassment?

You do plenty of harrassment on this website. Take your resentment towards women out on someone else or better yet, seek some profession help in the form of a psychiatrist to get over your issues.

--------------------------------------------------

How does one go about...
expunging all records of an arrest. I was arrested for stalking in the state of Maine in June of 1998 and subsequently charged with harassment, bail and protective order violations too.

I would like *all* records of this having happened removed from *all* law enforcement files. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

charlie
---------------------------------------------------

Arrested, yes...

...and found not guilty of the stalking charge by a jury and the DA dropped the other charges. I recently filed suit against her for her misuse of the criminal justice system in having me arrested in the first place.

This alters nothing, all I said still stands. You did not answer my questions:

"In your second post you said your B/F was going to bring charges against you for domestic violence. So did you hit him too? First? You also never answered my question concerning the two previous domestic violence charges and your involvement in either of these?"

charlie

L

LinMarie21

I came here for legal advice. You obviously don't know whether or not there is a time limit on pressing charges, which was my question. So unless you have something important to say, I suggest you shut your mouth since it obviously gets you in trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">