• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tough situation, Suicide, Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Allison K

What is the name of your state? Michigan

A freind of mine commited suicide this week. She was a month shy of her 16th birthday. Everything is so awful. Some background information. She hung herself by making a noose out of an extension cord. She got a ladder and kicked it out from under herself. Accoring to some books the police found under her bed, the noose was supposed to break her neck, but it didn't, and she suffocated. Here are my questions.

1) She was givin those books by a kid at school. They detailed how to commit suicide. The kid knew full well she was thinking about suicide, but he still gave her the books and he didn't even tell anyone. Can he be charged with manslaughter?

2)Someone saidthat the mother could be charged with neglect or something, because the girl was a minor. The father died when the girl was in eigth grade, and that put a lot of strain on the family , and the mother couldn't have done anything to prevent the suicide. She can't be charged right?

Thank you for your help.

P

Pfaffing85690

The way you phrased your questions tells me you are the mother correct?

HomeGuru

Allison K said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

A freind of mine commited suicide this week. She was a month shy of her 16th birthday. Everything is so awful. Some background information. She hung herself by making a noose out of an extension cord. She got a ladder and kicked it out from under herself. Accoring to some books the police found under her bed, the noose was supposed to break her neck, but it didn't, and she suffocated. Here are my questions.

1) She was givin those books by a kid at school. They detailed how to commit suicide. The kid knew full well she was thinking about suicide, but he still gave her the books and he didn't even tell anyone. Can he be charged with manslaughter?

2)Someone saidthat the mother could be charged with neglect or something, because the girl was a minor. The father died when the girl was in eigth grade, and that put a lot of strain on the family , and the mother couldn't have done anything to prevent the suicide. She can't be charged right?

Thank you for your help.
**A: please tell the truth as to who you really are and we will try to help.

A

Allison K

Pfaffing85690 said:
The way you phrased your questions tells me you are the mother correct?
No. I'm just a friend. We both played clarinet in marching and concert band. Her memorial tribute is too the music department. It just happened on Wednesday night. I don't know the name of the book. Everything is so mixed up right now. The viewing was just today and the funeral tomorrow. It seems so unjust that he gave her the book and he knew she was seriously thinking about suicide and he didn't tell anyone. As for the mother getting in trouble, I just wanted to make sure, because I haven't even thought of it until I was talking with another friend and she said there was another suicide case a few years ago where the parents got fined and they had to go to court about a neglect charge but it was dropped or something. Thanks for your help.

Allison

S

Star43

negativity

Why do a few of you ASSUME that there is something in this post that is not truthful? This young girl sounds just like a young girl. You should know that if you are a lawyer or DR. ASSUMING is not a good idea. Why all the negativity? A suicide is a disturbing event, and I'm ASSUMING that the school and all her friends and family are truely upset and hurting.

This is very sad. I hope that the school has some grief conselors on hand. Parents are usually in shock when something like this happens, it is a tragedy, who knows what was going through this young persons mind? The blame game is relentless. I'm sure this is the worst possible event for her parents.

Allison, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. There is so much to live for in this life, there are many bumpy roads, but in the end it makes you a better person for the struggles and pains each one goes through. Suicide is not the answer. Good luck to you and your friends, that you will be able to move on with reflection, and I hope her parents can heal from this pain.

P

Pfaffing85690

It seems so unjust that he gave her the book and he knew she was seriously thinking about suicide and he didn't tell anyone.
And how do you "Know" that this person knew she was contemplating suicide? If you did know, what did you do to stop her?

The point here is there is no basis in law for you to make these assumptions. Did he help her buy the drugs, tie the rope or push her off a cliff? Did the mother?

Did you?

Sorry, but you need to deal with the pain and loss and stop worrying about charges and legal issues. These will or will not happen based on a district attorney's complete review of the case along with all pertitent facts for which we have no inkling.

kkat

Suicide

Though I do not often post I like reading questions & answers on many forums.
HOWEVER, I am increasingly disturbed by the negative & rude way that questions are answered. I realize that people post their situations and probably deserve your sarcasm. Many are very stupid, unreal and ridiculous. I suppose that you have seen it all and it is easy to spot a half-truth when you read it. But, according to the instructions for posting on this site, one should be "civil". What a shame it is that some of you don't honor that courtesy in your answers.
The replies to a 16 year old regarding her friends suicide was appalling !!!!
Even if she was in fact "the mother" who are you to respond in the way you did ?
Obliviously, you have never know the pain, confusion, guilt or devastation when a child kills themselves.
My son was a 10th grader when his best friend (a girl) killed herself. She elected to shoot herself in the head, in her parents bedroom. He anguished over the thought that he might have been able to stop her. Apparently, she was a dramatic kid that joked and talked about killing herself all the time.
These kids aren't prepared to distinguish who are candidates for suicide.
How dare you be so callus and rude !
Stop acting like Gods.
KKat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">