• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tournament Poker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tacticaltal

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Would it be considered "gambling", and therefore illegal, to conduct, organize, run or participate in Tournament Poker games which require an Entry Fee if all money from the Entry Fees go to a prize for the winners i.e. no house rake, 100% returned in prizes?

From Indiana's Criminal Code:

Unlawful gambling Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally engages in gambling commits unlawful gambling, a Class B misdemeanor

but....

"Gambling" means risking money or other property for gain, contingent in whole or in part upon lot, chance, or the operation of a gambling device; but it does not include participating in: (1) bona fide contests of skill, speed, strength, or endurance in which awards are made only to entrants or the owners of entries

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar45/ch5.html

Last edited:

JETX

Most states do not consider poker as being of "skill, speed, strength, or endurance".
And since the repercussions of someone's INTERPRETATION of your state laws could be serious, I would suggest you spend the $100 or so talking with a local attorney.

T

tacticaltal

just curious

I fold :)

Question didn't pertain to any ongoing case. Was just curious if anyone here practiced in Indiana and had any experience prosecuting or defending a case like this.

Thanks for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">