• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

translator/public defender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sapphire74

a friend of mine was arrested for domestic and aggravated battery. He speaks no english, and they have already taken him to court once to set his bail. They did NOT provide him a translator, is this LEGAL?
Also, they have not given him a public defender, is there a time limit on how long you are held in jail before you are offered one?

T

Tracey

Failure to provide a translator is a violation of the 6th amendment right to participate in his own defense & prevents him from receiving effective assistance of counsel. The state must provide a translator for all court proceedings and to help him talk to his attorney. Check the court rules to see if there's a time limit for appointing a PD & translator.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">