• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traveling to Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outonbail

moreinformation said:
What is the name of your state? DC
Is it illegal for a person convicted of a felony in the US to travel to Canada temporarily?
This depends on many unknown factors.
Simply having a felony conviction from many years past and for which you have since been released from any Court ordered monitoring or required supervision, simply traveling should not have you breaking any laws in the US.
Whether or not Canadian customs officials will question you on your criminal past and if based on your answers, will they refuse to allow you to enter their country is hard to say.
I suppose allot could depend on your purpose for going there.

I've traveled to Canada quite a number of times on business, for as much as two weeks at a time, but I don't recall if they ever questioned me about any criminal past. They may have, as I can remember being interviewed for as long as a half an hour to an hour and having my luggage rifled through a few times.

For some reason, I was put through the third degree every time I entered on the east coast, with my destination being Toronto. But on every trip I made entering on the west coast, heading for to Vancouver BC or Edmondton Alberta, I skated right in without anyone asking me diddly.

Now, if this person is still on parole or probation, that would be a different story altogether.
As, it is probably spelled out in the terms of probation/parole that they can not leave the area without prior approval of the parole/probation officer.

Many other circumstances can contribute to whether or not the person would be in violation of the law.

However, if you need to ask, I'd say don't do it, you already know your up to no good,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">