• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing / Breaking and Entering without intent to be destructive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcannie

What is the name of your state? California.

I have stumbled across an old victorian 10+ story hotel that I would LOVE to get inside to take some pictures of, but the building has been condemned for 20 or so years. Every door into the building has a "No Trespassing" sign and a padlock. If I were to use bolt cutters to get the padlock off and go inside, what might the worst penalty be if I was caught? I have no intention of doing any sort of vandalism or stealing anything, etc. I would just like to take some pictures for my portfolio.

Oh, and I am currently only 17 years old but I'm close enough to my 18th birthday, might they try to purse charges as an adult?

Curt581

What is the name of your state? California.

I have stumbled across an old victorian 10+ story hotel that I would LOVE to get inside to take some pictures of, but the building has been condemned for 20 or so years. Every door into the building has a "No Trespassing" sign and a padlock. If I were to use bolt cutters to get the padlock off and go inside, what might the worst penalty be if I was caught?
I know this is a radical concept, but have you considered trying to find the owner and asking permission to take photos?

Worst case charge could be Burglary. In my state, that would get you up to five years in a state prison.

Worst case scenario would be falling through a rotted floor and not being found until long after you're dead. The building is condemned, locked, and posted for a reason.

Oh, and I am currently only 17 years old but I'm close enough to my 18th birthday, might they try to purse charges as an adult?
Absolutely.

CdwJava

I have stumbled across an old victorian 10+ story hotel that I would LOVE to get inside to take some pictures of, but the building has been condemned for 20 or so years. Every door into the building has a "No Trespassing" sign and a padlock. If I were to use bolt cutters to get the padlock off and go inside, what might the worst penalty be if I was caught? I have no intention of doing any sort of vandalism or stealing anything, etc. I would just like to take some pictures for my portfolio.

You can be arrested for vandalism and trespassing. If they believed you entered to commit theft or commit any felony, you could also be charged with burglary. Even if you later beat those charges, the arrest and the initial charges will be on your record.

As previously recommended, call someone and ask for permission. The property owner is a matter of public record. The county Assessor's office ought to have that information.

- Carl

outonbail

I would just like to take some pictures for my portfolio.
I can see the cover shot now, the OP facing the camera, standing alongside a vertical measuring tape which has been painted on the wall. He'll be holding a number and dated sign board at about chest level. The expression on his face would have a viewer thinking he just bit a lemon....:(

Page 2 would be a profile shot where a viewer could look through his ear and see light coming through from the other side,,,, :D

Now those are the Kodak moments that will last a lifetime,,,, ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">