• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing in (closed) public park in Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr5

Utah.

I'll try to be succinct:

More than half a dozen adult skateboarders including myself were cited by police for trespassing. We had hopped the locked fence of a public city skate park during normal operation hours.

The citations we each received on scene were simple summons to appear with the word "trespassing"--no other info.

Anybody know what this means in terms of a fine? Presumably this is a misdemeanor and will stay on our records permanently. I'm old enough to not care too much, but for the younger guys, do you think this will be a significant hindrance to future employment?

I've accepted that we might well have been trespassing, though it wasn't clear to us at the time because of conflicting information on the park's sign. I've considered simply pleading guilty with explanation, but is that ever effective? Unfortunately prejudice seems to still be the norm against skateboarders.

Last edited:

tranquility

Pro tip:
ANYTIME you *have* to climb over a fence, you're trespassing.

While I don't know the specific realities of such, I"d pretty much accept the fact you were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">