• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing could anything happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldylocks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Today I went to visit an abandoned mine and explore it. I drove to the location and parked outside of a gate. The gate had "no trespassing" etched into it maybe in paint but wasn't connected to a fence so I went around and it proceeded to walk along the trail. I didn't find the mine or anything and was on the property for about 30 minutes. On my way back down the trail a guy came and took pictures of me and my car's plates and told me I was in the wrong place blah blah blah. Could anything happen from this? Thanks

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Today I went to visit an abandoned mine and explore it. I drove to the location and parked outside of a gate. The gate had "no trespassing" etched into it maybe in paint but wasn't connected to a fence so I went around and it proceeded to walk along the trail. I didn't find the mine or anything and was on the property for about 30 minutes. On my way back down the trail a guy came and took pictures of me and my car's plates and told me I was in the wrong place blah blah blah. Could anything happen from this? Thanks
Sure it could. This mystery person could turn over the photos they took as independent evidence to the local authorities and have you arrested and charged with trespassing.

Doesn't matter if you "found the mine" or how long you were on the property. You saw the sign and chose to disobey it. At the moment you ignored it and went around the sign, you broke the law.

goldylocks

Sure it could. This mystery person could turn over the photos they took as independent evidence to the local authorities and have you arrested and charged with trespassing.

Doesn't matter if you "found the mine" or how long you were on the property. You saw the sign and chose to disobey it. At the moment you ignored it and went around the sign, you broke the law.
Yeah I realize I broke the law, but I am wondering to what severity did I break it? When I saw the man I immediately apologized and left (I think he was the property owner - he was caring a shotgun - although he never actually told me to leave, just took the pictures)

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Yeah I realize I broke the law, but I am wondering to what severity did I break it? When I saw the man I immediately apologized and left (I think he was the property owner? although he never actually told me to leave, just took the pictures)
This isn't a matter of severity. The law is absolute. It said "No Trespassing" and you trespassed. Even a minute and an inch over the line counts against you.

It may not have been the witness' place to tell you leave, but that doesn't mean they can't be a photo witness to your crime. And just because someone DIDN'T tell you to leave doesn't automatically mean it was OK that you trespassed, either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">