• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing - Out of State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FootBallFan68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania - Maryland

So I run a business similar to "Student-Notes" where I collect notes, old tests, quizzes ect from student hear a major PA University, and sell access to them online where upon payment users get a password to decrypt the PDFs of the items.

In short, I gave free access to some athletes and they ran their mouth and got busted. I was interviewed by campus Compliance officials, and basically lied through my teeth and gave them made up (false) web transaction logs that showed none of the athletes accessed me servers. They found out and got really, really angry.

Essentially, i got "dissociated" from the school in ANY athletics capacity, since i was a former athlete and athletic trainer. I was banned from buying tickets or attending ANY games with a letter from the Office Of Legal Council:

....In addition, you are hereby notified that you are prohibited from buying tickets to, or attending, any University Athletic event while dissociated from the Athletics Program. Attendance at an Athletic Event can and will be considered Trespassing, and you may be subject to criminal and or/civil penalties as prescribed by Law.[/B] "

I went to a football game in MARYLAND 2 weeks ago where the PA University was playing, with TICKETS bought from the OTHER TEAMS WEBSITE. They were seats BEHIND the PA University's bench, and some Athletics official recognized me before the game, and told the Attending PA State Troopers/Campus police.

The PA troopers attempted to detain me, but I resisted and got away. I got caught at an outer gate, and was detained by MD county police. The PA troopers wanted to have me arrested for "resisting arrest", but the MD cops said that couldn't happen because the PA troopers had no arrest authority in MD. Instead I was arrested for "Trespassing", but at the police station I was let go because the Venue where I attended in MD did NOT ban me from attendance, and there was NO formal contact from the OTHER University telling me to stay away. I was told NEVER to return there as well.

Now I was contacted and told to surrender because I will be charged in PENNSYLVANIA for trespassing and assaulting a police officer.

Can I REALLY be charged for something that happened OUT OF STATE, and with police officers that are not really police officers because they are out of their jurisdiction?

Last edited:

FootBallFan68

I know what they want, and the PA charges are a means to get it.

The University has repeatedly asked me to give them server logs and my digital records so they can figure out who bought copies of some old finals, as well as other things. They want to be "proactive" in addressing the violations so the NCAA doesn't slam them with huge penalties. They are looking at massive NCAA penalties if there is definite proof, like along the lines of millions and millions of lost revenue.

I am just wondering how is is even POSSIBLE that breaking out of an arm-hold of an OUT OF STATE police officer that is NOT in "fresh pursuit" can be considered a crime? I was let go from the MD police station because NO charges could be brought!!

cyjeff

I know what they want, and the PA charges are a means to get it.

The University has repeatedly asked me to give them server logs and my digital records so they can figure out who bought copies of some old finals, as well as other things. They want to be "proactive" in addressing the violations so the NCAA doesn't slam them with huge penalties. They are looking at massive NCAA penalties if there is definite proof, like along the lines of millions and millions of lost revenue.

I am just wondering how is is even POSSIBLE that breaking out of an arm-hold of an OUT OF STATE police officer that is NOT in "fresh pursuit" can be considered a crime? I was let go from the MD police station because NO charges could be brought!!
Why would you think you could assault ANYONE and get away with it?

In other words, the PA cop didn't lose his ability to file charges against you as a private citizen for assault... even in Maryland.

You need an attorney... as a party to the university's woes, I would expect them to sue you into the ground for any lost revenue they incur as a direct result of your actions.

How much you got?

FootBallFan68

Why would you think you could assault ANYONE and get away with it?
He was in uniform and had his badge and gun. He attempted to DETAIN me under color of his authority as a Law Enforcement Officer. All I did was reverse his arm-hold and push him away.

The MD cops said I could not be arrested or charged for/with assault because he basically acted incorrectly, and defending yourself against unauthorized restraint is not against the law. I was let go from the MD county jail with no charges filed. Only that I never return to that stadium in MD.

PA now wants to charge me for the assault even though 1) MD does not give explicit LE powers to out of state Officers when not in Fresh Pursuit 2) the incident occurred well out of PA State lines.

If there were enough evidence for assault charges, MD would have happily filed them against me.

as a party to the university's woes, I would expect them to sue you into the ground for any lost revenue they incur as a direct result of your actions
I am guessing that is why they want my records. But look at all the NCAA violations that have occurred and not one University has initiated suit. AKA Reggie Bush and Florida State's academic scandals. The TAs at Florida state who gave illegal test answers didn't face a single penalty even though millions were lost.

All of my computers are protected with TrueCrypt boot loaders anyway, and cannot ever be recovered without the password. I know that a recent US Federal Court decision says I don't have to give up my passwords, but they are sure making my life Hell to get what they want.

I am just wondering HOW can an incident 70 miles outside a State's border be considered a crime, when even the MD cops admitted the PA troopers actions were wrong?

cyjeff

He was in uniform and had his badge and gun. He attempted to DETAIN me under color of his authority as a Law Enforcement Officer. All I did was reverse his arm-hold and push him away.
Which would be "assault".

The MD cops said I could not be arrested or charged for/with assault because he basically acted incorrectly, and defending yourself against unauthorized restraint is not against the law. I was let go from the MD county jail with no charges filed. Only that I never return to that stadium in MD.
That would, apparently, be for a court to decide.

Strange... you keep getting banned from places.

Why did you give the players free access, anyway?

PA now wants to charge me for the assault even though 1) MD does not give explicit LE powers to out of state Officers when not in Fresh Pursuit 2) the incident occurred well out of PA State lines.

If there were enough evidence for assault charges, MD would have happily filed them against me.
Which explains the whole court process.

I am guessing that is why they want my records. But look at all the NCAA violations that have occurred and not one University has initiated suit. AKA Reggie Bush and Florida State's academic scandals. The TAs at Florida state who gave illegal test answers didn't face a single penalty even though millions were lost.
Interesting, not applicable to your case, but interesting.

All of my computers are protected with TrueCrypt boot loaders anyway, and cannot ever be recovered without the password. I know that a recent US Federal Court decision says I don't have to give up my passwords, but they are sure making my life Hell to get what they want.
That's what happens when you help people cheat... you do, of course, realize we will be providing this little forum to the appropriate folks, right?

Don't bother editing... I already have a copy.

I am just wondering HOW can an incident 70 miles outside a State's border be considered a crime, when even the MD cops admitted the PA troopers actions were wrong?
Because you assaulted someone making a citizen's arrest. They are allowed.

If there were issues with the arrest, the place for that would have been court.

You seem to have a great deal of security for someone performing a legitimate business function. Figured out it isn't as legit as you thought, yet?

Why would you think that the products you are selling do not fall under protection as a product of the university?

Last edited:

Dave1952

If you live in Penn. and are being charged with crimes then you should speak with a lawyer who handles criminal matters. It is certainly reasonable to question the jurisdiction of a Penn. court on matters that you believe occurred in Md.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">