• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dude765

What is the name of your state? Virginia

The basic jist of my case:
I was out with my friends late at night and we needed a place to hang out. It was pretty late and since most of our parents were asleep, any of our houses were basically out of the question. So we decided to stop by this one park and hang out there. no less than two minutes later, a police officer shows up and after an hour or so of standing around, we were all given a ticket for trespassing.

VA state code 18.2-119. The violation is being citied as a county violation (arlington).

To me, this seems pretty cut and dry. I was very ignorant as i was on my cell phone while we walked in so i didn't pay attention to the signs that said "park closed after dark, etc." I am not debating my guilt.

My only issue is that i am a rising senior in college and about to embark on my major post graduate job hunt, and it would make my life a lot easier if this wasn't on my record. Given all of this, do i need a lawyer, or should i just go into court, plead guilty/no contest and face the music?

One more issue: one of the officers on the scene mentioned something about asking for a suspended/deferred sentence, except he used a special phrase that i can't recall. anyone know what i am talking about?

And just to answer some questions:
I am 21
The reason i wasn't at a bar is because a) most of my friends are under and b) the ones that are over 21 were out of town.
My friends were drinking, i was not.
No one was citied for anything alcohol related.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Trails

dude765 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

The basic jist of my case:
I was out with my friends late at night and we needed a place to hang out. It was pretty late and since most of our parents were asleep, any of our houses were basically out of the question. So we decided to stop by this one park and hang out there. no less than two minutes later, a police officer shows up and after an hour or so of standing around, we were all given a ticket for trespassing.

VA state code 18.2-119. The violation is being citied as a county violation (arlington).

To me, this seems pretty cut and dry. I was very ignorant as i was on my cell phone while we walked in so i didn't pay attention to the signs that said "park closed after dark, etc." I am not debating my guilt.

My only issue is that i am a rising senior in college and about to embark on my major post graduate job hunt, and it would make my life a lot easier if this wasn't on my record. Given all of this, do i need a lawyer, or should i just go into court, plead guilty/no contest and face the music?

One more issue: one of the officers on the scene mentioned something about asking for a suspended/deferred sentence, except he used a special phrase that i can't recall. anyone know what i am talking about?

And just to answer some questions:
I am 21
The reason i wasn't at a bar is because a) most of my friends are under and b) the ones that are over 21 were out of town.
My friends were drinking, i was not.
No one was citied for anything alcohol related.

Thanks in advance.
Was it deferred adjudication probation?

For more information on that you can go to this site:

http://www.lawyers.com/lawyers/A~1001923~YAH/FAQ+CRIME+SENTENCING+PAROLE+PROBATION.html

dude765

Thanks for the quick response. :)

I found a line of Virginia Code (19.2-303.2) that allows a suspended sentence in cases such as mine. I've also been told by some outside friends that it might be worth commenting that i wasn't driving when we went to the park and that when it was all said and done, i chose to walk home instead of getting a ride with my related friends (in fact, the cops who gave me the ticket asked me if i was walking home).

Given all of this, should i get a lawyer? and if so, does anyone have a reccomendation of a decently priced criminal lawyer in the Northern VA area?

Thanks again.

Happy Trails

dude765 said:
Thanks for the quick response. :)

I found a line of Virginia Code (19.2-303.2) that allows a suspended sentence in cases such as mine. I've also been told by some outside friends that it might be worth commenting that i wasn't driving when we went to the park and that when it was all said and done, i chose to walk home instead of getting a ride with my related friends (in fact, the cops who gave me the ticket asked me if i was walking home).

Given all of this, should i get a lawyer? and if so, does anyone have a reccomendation of a decently priced criminal lawyer in the Northern VA area?

Thanks again.
Getting a lawyer is a decision you will have to make.

If you are convicted of the charge it is a class 1 misdemeanor.

From Virginia state code:

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both

If you feel you want to hire a lawyer, you can search for one on-line and/or click on the red rectangular box beneath your post. Maybe someone will be interested in taking your case.

Good luck and please post back with the outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">