• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tresspassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TiredinOregon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My son was in a car accident and the car was towed to the local tow shop. I was told by the shop to come and pick up my son. I got there as soon as I could and there was a gate blocking access to the location. I honked my horn (since cell service was not available in that location) and no one came to the gate so, I tired opening it (it was unlocked) and it opened then retracted back to me, I walked away b/c I didn't want to break it. And they had signs that read "attack guard dog/no tresspassing" I drove to the next door neighbor's home asked to use his home phone and I called the company and I was told that they couldn't wait for me any longer and they took my son home. The next day I called to ask when I can pick up the car and I was told that they reported me to the sherriffs dept. for criminal tresspassing and accussed me of breaking their gate. They are holding my car as restitution. They are accussing me of using my car to get through the gate (which never happened). The arm of the gate is broken and the motor was ripped out from the ground. (this could not be done physically) The woman was very rude so I called the sherriffs dept and spoke to the responding officer. After telling me that I broke the gate andd that I'm going to pay for it, he informed me that he was going to arrest me but, he turned it over to the DA's office. I'm awaiting notification but, in the meantime do they have the right to keep my car?

seniorjudge

Q: After telling me that I broke the gate andd that I'm going to pay for it, he informed me that he was going to arrest me but, he turned it over to the DA's office. I'm awaiting notification but, in the meantime do they have the right to keep my car?

A: No. Hire a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">