• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tresspassing in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinymonkey

I dont know much law so if this is a ludacris question please dont verbally assault me. I was caught trespessing over a week ago, but property owner decided to not press chrages. It is now over a week later and i get a call from the PD telling me to report to the station because charges are now being pressed, even after i was told they would not be. Is this right?? im sure it is but im just hoping its not...thanks

S

shell007

tinymonkey said:
I dont know much law so if this is a ludacris question please dont verbally assault me. I was caught trespessing over a week ago, but property owner decided to not press chrages. It is now over a week later and i get a call from the PD telling me to report to the station because charges are now being pressed, even after i was told they would not be. Is this right?? im sure it is but im just hoping its not...thanks
Obviously the OWNER changed his mind, and he/she is allowed to do that.

Happy Trails

shellandty said:
Obviously the OWNER changed his mind, and he/she is allowed to do that.
I agree, and it is possible the owner just discovered what you did on the property that made him/her change their mind.

What is the violation code you are being charged with?

tinymonkey

no idea havent gone in yet, im hoping that i can get down there tonight but im not sure yet...they said im most likely looking at community service since there wasnt any damage done to the property

tinymonkey

my appearance ticket says section 140.05, but who knows what that is...it sounds like im most likely just getting a fine, the cop said its weighed the same as a speeding ticket, how much of a fine do you think im looking at?

i also found out that the owner had up to 6 months to press charges

S

shell007

Maybe this will shed some light:

A 'Violation' is not a crime. It does not leave you with a criminal record. You can think of a violation as more like a speeding ticket than a criminal conviction. There are several kinds of violations. The most common are 'Disorderly Conduct' (240.20), Trespass (140.05) and Harassment (240.26). A 'Violation' is punishable by a fine, community service, a 'conditional discharge' or up to 15 days in jail.

Happy Trails

tinymonkey said:
my appearance ticket says section 140.05, but who knows what that is...it sounds like im most likely just getting a fine, the cop said its weighed the same as a speeding ticket, how much of a fine do you think im looking at?

i also found out that the owner had up to 6 months to press charges
From New York statutes:

§ 140.05 Trespass.
A person is guilty of trespass when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
Trespass is a violation.

-------------------------------

§ 80.05 Fines for misdemeanors and violation.

4. Violation. A sentence to pay a fine for a violation shall be a sentence to pay an amount, fixed by the court, not exceeding two hundred fifty dollars.

-----------------------------

§ 70.15 Sentences of imprisonment for misdemeanors and violation.

4. Violation. A sentence of imprisonment for a violation shall be a definite sentence. When such a sentence is imposed the term shall be fixed by the court, and shall not exceed fifteen days.

You Are Guilty

If this is your first offense, you are likely to get offered an ACD when you appear for the hearing. (If not offered automatically, state that this is your first offense and you would like an ACD).

Then stay out of trouble for thirty days after that.

tinymonkey

You Are Guilty, can you further explain an ACD to me, just so I have some idea what I'm talking about because this is my first offense, never even had a parking ticket!

tinymonkey

sorry one more question, is the judge required by law to grant me the ACD or is it something that is up to him?

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

tinymonkey said:
sorry one more question, is the judge required by law to grant me the ACD or is it something that is up to him?
It is completely, utterly, 100% discretionary, so make sure you're really nice to the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">