• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tricked and scamed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coachgann564

I I recently made a stupid mistake. I was arrested for forgery on 2 checks that were stolen. I did not know they were stolen. What happen was my cousin and her boyfriend showed up at my house one night saying they had a check from his mom and it was made out to my cousin. They said they could not cash it cause no one would cash a 3party check. They said they didn't have a place to stay and had no food to eat. They also said that his mom gave them the check cause she just got income tax. I took the to a grocery store that I worked at for five years and was respected in this place. I took them to his mom house and they went in and come out with another check. But it was not made out to anyone. I took them and the check and cashed it for them. All I did was sign the back of it and gave them the money. They came back a couple days later and I did it for them again. I felt bad for them but I new this was all I could do for them. I was stupid for cashing those checks and writing my name on the back I know that now. I regret ever helping them. I was lied to and tricked and now my life has turned upside down. I have never been in trouble and I am a father of 2 girls who I have joint custody of. I'm a member of my community I am a 10u softball coach. I have never seen a court room or the inside of a jail cell untill the other day. Now I have to go to court on Apr 29 cause of all this. So my question is could I see jail time over this and what if anything can I do?

Proserpina

I I recently made a stupid mistake. I was arrested for forgery on 2 checks that were stolen. I did not know they were stolen. What happen was my cousin and her boyfriend showed up at my house one night saying they had a check from his mom and it was made out to my cousin. They said they could not cash it cause no one would cash a 3party check. They said they didn't have a place to stay and had no food to eat. They also said that his mom gave them the check cause she just got income tax. I took the to a grocery store that I worked at for five years and was respected in this place. I took them to his mom house and they went in and come out with another check. But it was not made out to anyone. I took them and the check and cashed it for them. All I did was sign the back of it and gave them the money. They came back a couple days later and I did it for them again. I felt bad for them but I new this was all I could do for them. I was stupid for cashing those checks and writing my name on the back I know that now. I regret ever helping them. I was lied to and tricked and now my life has turned upside down. I have never been in trouble and I am a father of 2 girls who I have joint custody of. I'm a member of my community I am a 10u softball coach. I have never seen a court room or the inside of a jail cell untill the other day. Now I have to go to court on Apr 29 cause of all this. So my question is could I see jail time over this and what if anything can I do?
Please tell us where you're located.

OHRoadwarrior

If you are truly a poor pillar of the community, having the money to make restitution and a clear criminal record will work in your favor with the court and a lawyer could likely get deferred adjudication, Once that is completed, you could move for expungement of the arrest and court process. Having a background check during the interim could trigger a record you can not get erased so do not do that, if it works out this way.

dave33

What's really going on coach? Forgery? What are they saying you forged, the signature of the account holder? IF what you say is true, than plead not guilty and make them prove that you are the one that signed the check. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">