• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trumped up criminal charge over water bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asa

What is the name of your state? NM
In Mar of 2003 the village in which I reside filled a criminal complaint against me for tampering with a water meter, which had been turned off for non-payment. I have a witness who told the them that I was not involved in tampering with the meter and that it was one of there very own empolyees who turned the water back on without my knowledge. They continue to harass me with court summons to this date, trying to collect on the amount of water usage during the said tampering. This case has never gone to trail or been dismissed. In that latest summons they are claiming court fees, and fines and failure to pay restitution. How can this be if I have never gone to trail and been found quilty? Is it legal for them to use this criminal complaint, that they know they can not find me quilty on to try to collect a past due water bill? And what is the legal length of time for such a case? I have asked for a trial and they avoid the issue and try to get me to do communtiy service for the amount they claim I owe.

Happy Trails

asa said:
What is the name of your state? NM
In Mar of 2003 the village in which I reside filled a criminal complaint against me for tampering with a water meter, which had been turned off for non-payment. I have a witness who told the them that I was not involved in tampering with the meter and that it was one of there very own empolyees who turned the water back on without my knowledge. They continue to harass me with court summons to this date, trying to collect on the amount of water usage during the said tampering. This case has never gone to trail or been dismissed. In that latest summons they are claiming court fees, and fines and failure to pay restitution. How can this be if I have never gone to trail and been found quilty? Is it legal for them to use this criminal complaint, that they know they can not find me quilty on to try to collect a past due water bill? And what is the legal length of time for such a case? I have asked for a trial and they avoid the issue and try to get me to do communtiy service for the amount they claim I owe.
You certainly have some explaining to do. With what you posted hear, I don't believe you. You knew the water had been turned off for non-payment.
What did you think when you had water, but you still hadn't paid the bill? :rolleyes:

asa

more facts

1: there were two other buisnesses on the same meter which was in my name as per lease agreement.
2: one of the other buisness owners is the one who traded a motorcyle part to have the water turned back on
3: all this took place while I was away for surgury due to injury.
4: the other business owner told the village what he had done after the village had filed charges against me.
5: no charges have been brought against him or the ex-employee.
6: after release for my surgury I closed the business.
7: after two years of draging this out they still refuse to set a court date for a trial.

I am not trying to avoid paying my past due bill but do not feel that I should be threated with criminal charges that they know I am innocent of in order for them to collect. I have been as so been out of work since the injury due to medical restriction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">