• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to reduce felony to misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proverbs3125

What is the name of your state? California

I am trying to file a petition to have my felony reduced to a misdemeanor. I have the court paper that states if I paid in full with in 1 yr my restitution I could have the charge reduced.

I do have the form and am trying to fill it out to submit it, but I dont know what the section is. It asks for section of code...the code I have...but I am not sure what to put for the section. Can anyone help?

calatty

Code section for what? The code section for reducing a felony to a misdemeanor is Penal Code section 17.

Proverbs3125

calatty said:
Code section for what? The code section for reducing a felony to a misdemeanor is Penal Code section 17.
Well on this form it asks On...date...the defendant in the above-entitled criminal action was convicted of a violation of section (s) (specify)....of the (specify):....code.

I assume that the code is the one listed on my court paperwork but i could not figure out what section they are asking for.

TYRIS

Proverbs3125 said:
grand theft, do you mean the penal codes?

-Grand theft is generally covered under 487 PC. There are several sub-sections to this code depending on what you stole.

What exactly did you take?

Tyris

Proverbs3125

TYRIS said:
-Grand theft is generally covered under 487 PC. There are several sub-sections to this code depending on what you stole.

What exactly did you take?

Tyris
ok I see the pc 487 on my paper work, but there is more. According to my paperwork I entered a plea of nolo contendere to Ct 1 PC 484|487 (B)(3)

as for what i took...it was money. All this was back in 98 or 99. I am trying to file my own petition. I just lost my job of 4 yrs and I need to find another but this is holding me back. I went back to the attorney that originally helped me but I just dont have 2,500 to pay her to get this matter cleared. She did tell me that it could be expunged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">