• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turkey hunting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonathan Perry

North Carolina,
A friend and I were hunting a place the other morning. My second time and his first. We got there around 5:15-5:30 and set our decoy's out using the moonlight to do this. Around 6:30-6:45 we had a turkey approaching us and we attempted to harvest it. Luck was not on our side. At that moment we were scared off the property by a strange vehicle "flying" across the field at us. At this moment I felt something was wrong so we fled on foot through the woods. We got back to my vehicle and was trying to figure out what just happened and if we should go back. Another strange vehicle drove by us and wrote my tag number down. I decided it was not a good idea to go back because it was probably another hunter and the fact he probably had a fire arm and would probably be tempted to use it if I went back. I drove home and was greeted by a Game Warden soon after. Come to find out the feeling I had was right. I was on private property and top of it all I was being ticketed for hunting over bait (corn). being that I was in the woods at such an early time I saw no corn. Even after the sun was up I saw no corn. I was told by the Game Warden it was cracked corn mix into the dirt. A person using the moonlight cannot see that. I tried to explain to the Game Warden but I know he was just doing his job. What can I do about this? Please, someone give me some advise.

Jonathan Perry

These are not the answers I was looking for.

You two are obviously not hunters. I have nothing against that. Everyone has there way of relaxing. Anyway, I will not except the punishment without stating my side since I am not the one who put the corn there. I had no idea it was there. I feel I was set up. Anyway, if the judgement is for me to pay the fine than so be it. I will not go down without a fight. I will not admit guilty.

Indiana Filer

You two are obviously not hunters. I have nothing against that. Everyone has there way of relaxing. Anyway, I will not except the punishment without stating my side since I am not the one who put the corn there. I had no idea it was there. I feel I was set up. Anyway, if the judgement is for me to pay the fine than so be it. I will not go down without a fight. I will not admit guilty.
Why are they "obviously not hunters"? Because they don't trespass? If you are going to hunt, you need to learn how to do it legally. Otherwise, if you aren't smart enough to follow the law and to get permission, you aren't smart enough to be trusted with a fire arm.

Don't go on property that does not belong to you unless you have explicit permission to be on that property.

I hate trespassers. We own farm and woodland. Over the years, I've taken down quite a few deer stands, including some that were obviously worth money, that idiots put on my property. I figured those deerstands were gifts, since they were put on my property.

If I catch you on my property, I will call law enforcement to have you arrested.

JETX

Okay, let's play your game.... from your own post:
1) "At this moment I felt something was wrong so we fled on foot through the woods."
Hmmm... maybe what you 'felt' was that you KNEW you were trespassing on someone else's property without their permission.

2) "I decided it was not a good idea to go back because it was probably another hunter and the fact he probably had a fire arm and would probably be tempted to use it if I went back."
Hmmm... unless you KNEW you were in violating SOMEONE's rights... why would you be afraid of another hunter??

3) "I was on private property and top of it all I was being ticketed for hunting over bait (corn). being that I was in the woods at such an early time I saw no corn."
Ignorance (of the corn) is not a defense.... do you really REALLY think the game warden is going to believe you just happened to 'find' corn at your hunt spot??

Advice?? You have presented NOTHING that even edges toward a defense to the citation.... accept your own ignorance. Tell the court your version... they will take it from there.

Jonathan Perry

I was given permission to hunt the place, but by the wrong person.

I was given permission to hunt this property. The problem is that it was the wrong person giving me permission. I have talked to the land owner since this has happened and he is not mad at me. He knows who put the corn there and was hoping it was me on that day. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I actually know the land owner, now and before this incident. The other person who gave me permission is a person Ive known for the past 11 years and lives within 100 yards of the place. He showed me around the place like he was the owner and said he was the land owner. Of course when I confronted him about this he denies all. I have a hunting club of my own and I know how it feels to have trespassers. I too have taken down stands that others have put on the property. Since I thought this was a trust worthy person I never really asked. I was asking for advice not someone telling me what I should have done. I know what I should have done. I'm human, we all make mistakes and we learn from them. As for the person who says he'd call me in, good for you! You need to do that. I'm a law abiding citizen and this is my first time ever in trouble. This will be my last! I cant stand people who break the law. Especially when it comes to hunting. I enjoy my privileges to hunt. I would not jeopardize that to lose that privilege. I should have done more research, asked more questions and not left the scene. I know what I should have done. Now, is there anyone out there who can advise me on what I can do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">