• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ugly situation - 19 yr old girl charged with felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomt

Minnesota
My 19 yr old niece was in a drunk driving rollover accident. She was not driving. Her friend (18 yo female) was thrown out of the car and cut in half when the vehicle rolled over her (DOA). The driver was an 18 yo boy with prior arrests, his brother (17) was in the back seat. The 2 boy's (39 yo)mother was in the car as well - but had not purchased the booze.
They are now charging my niece with felony aiding and abetting because she had called the person who bought the liquor.
They are also charging her with 2 gross misdemeanors because the other (minor) occupents were also drinking. She is also being charged with minor consumption.

Does anyone know of any options?

Thank you for ANYTHINGWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

Minnesota
My 19 yr old niece was in a drunk driving rollover accident. She was not driving. Her friend (18 yo female) was thrown out of the car and cut in half when the vehicle rolled over her (DOA). The driver was an 18 yo boy with prior arrests, his brother (17) was in the back seat. The 2 boy's (39 yo)mother was in the car as well - but had not purchased the booze.
They are now charging my niece with felony aiding and abetting because she had called the person who bought the liquor.
They are also charging her with 2 gross misdemeanors because the other (minor) occupents were also drinking. She is also being charged with minor consumption.

Does anyone know of any options?

Thank you for ANYTHINGWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This is a very sad situation and senseless tragedy. Unfortunatley your niece does carry a share of the blame. I'd make sure that she gets a good lawyer. In addition to that I'd make sure that the family addresses the issues related to her alcohol use.

Some Random Guy

Your niece was procuring liquor for underage people who ended up getting killed or severely injured. The prosecutor is treating this very seriously because of the tragic outcome. A lawyer is definitely in order.

However, her parents or guardians should also be looking for a civil lawyer for the inevitable lawsuit from the parents of the deceased teen. Being found criminally liable for abetting the underage drinking will make it easier for their family to go after those who they may see as responsible for their teen's death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">