• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ultimatum in writing, with consequences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gumpinator

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Here is the situation, I was fired from my prevous job. I did everything in my power to make sure the separation was professional. I answered all their questions, told them to call me if they needed anything and they did, and I helped them out.

I was hired by a competing company and I immediately started soliciting business from my old companies clients. A number of them switched to the new firm based on the relationship I had developed with them over the years.

I was served at the police dept with a strange aggreement letter yesterday, bascally saying that if i don't agree to quit commpeting with them and soliciting business from their clients, that they will file criminal charges against me. The charge really is poo, unauthorized use of a computer. They also said in front of a witness (the detective) that if i was indeed charged that "rest assured, it will be in the paper".

I have not signed the thing. It was very sloppily worded and was NOT prepared by a lawyer. I m going to have this reviewed by a layer, but haven't been able to meet with one yet.

Can anyone give me any advice on this matter?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

You are following the correct path.
Make sure you take all correspondence (e-mails, exit documents) and advise your attorney if the company called you and when so a records check can be made of your phone.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Did you EVER sign a non-compete agreement with your former employer? (btw - what you're doing IS rather unprofessional.)

Gumpinator

No, I NEVER signed any form of non-compete clause. But they let me know yesterday that I was ethically, morally, and probably legally bound to NOT pursue ANY of their clients, or I would deal with the repercussions. And this was said in front of the police detective.

djohnson

Ethically and morally wrong? yeah, but legally? not necessarily. If you never signed a non-compete agreement and you didn't take records or anything from your old company. Then I don't think they have any basis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">