• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized use of a credit card vs lost vs stealing it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msalino

What is the name of your state? NY

I think that one of my son's friends took my credit card while visiting my son at our home and started using it. It could even be my son for that matter. I received a call from the credit card company's fraud unit within 24 hours thinking something was wrong and sure enough I couldn't find it. I'd like to crucify the sob (whoever it was) and was wondering what crime was committed. I never had this happen before and after talking with the fraud people twice, they suggested to report it to the police which I hadn't to this point. I didn't authorize the use of my card and hopefully won't be held responsible for any charges. Is it unauthorized use because I lost it, or stealing it.

Kane

You might ask your son if he's the one who took it first. Paying the charges and dealing with your son yourself is a lot better/cheaper than getting the police involved.

msalino

Many thanks for your response.

I'm playing the devil's advocate here. What if after I report it to the police, I find out that it indeed was my son. Can I put a stop to it then, by settling with the credit card company or does the police run with it.:)

AlanShore

Tell your son: The credit card company filed charges with the police, and they and the FBI are investigating you and your friend in the matter. They will probably be coming to see you shortly. Son, if you took the card tell me, I will be mad at you but atleast you wont end up in jail.

CraigFL

You might ask your son if he's the one who took it first. Paying the charges and dealing with your son yourself is a lot better/cheaper than getting the police involved.
Maybe the son needs a lesson that he won't forget....

Kane

Well, a conviction for credit card abuse/theft is certainly something he'll never forget - he'll be reminded of it every time he applies for a job or tries to rent an apartment for the rest of his life.

garrula lingua

Kane's right - there's no going back. The kid will be stigmatized for the rest of his life with a felony.

It may not be worth the money, at stake, to make a report if it was the son.

Can Dad/Mom take the stand, point out the son as the defendant, & testify that son did not have permission to take the card ?

For some, it's the end of the long road of cleaning up after a miscreant kid who will continue to hurt his family ... but, it still takes a lot of strength and belief that this will help rehab their child (tough love) - a lot of people can't do it & they do need to think of that moment in court when they will identify their son as the felon.

Betty

If it was your son, you might just want to go ahead & pay the charges yourself as Kane suggested. Suggest to your son that he get a job (if he doesn't already have one) & pay you back. You didn't mention the age of your son or the amt. of charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">