• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized use of motor vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sophia1234

What is the name of your state? Ohio. I paid my attorney a thousand dollar retainer fee to defend me against false charges of unauthorized use of motor vehicle that were filed against me in March of 2008. My attorney never notified the court I had an attorney and the court even assigned me a public defender. He was not present at the grand jury and told me that no one ever testifies at the grand jury and that he did not need to be there.

Well I was indicted and I was told that my ex did testify and the police officer did too. I went to my arraignment and my attorney did not show up there either, that's when I got handed my public defender slip. I did call him and he said he sent some other attorney but he did not show up until they were finished with me and made me stay and wait for the assigned public defender.

The other attorney did showed up and he told me he had a hard time finding the court room and that he was there to file a treatment in lieu of convection. I ask what that was and he told me he did not know I would have to talk to my attorney, that he was just there to file it. I was P Off at this time and ask him to explain treatment he screamed back he did not know it might be a 6 x 6 padded cell. That was the last and only time I will speak to that as he called himself country lawyer. Now my attorney has not even ask to see any proof that I have to defend my self you know like payments, insurance records, cell phone records and emails etc. I have read through the discovery packet and I have five times the proof that I did not do what I am being charged for.

I have been reading up of the lieu of convection thing and does this mean he will want me to lie to the courts and tell them I am a drug attack? I don't even drink got a DUI two years ago and that was enough for me. And I would pass any kind of drug test given.

Now I pull my case up and see that the courts sent a driver license suspension to the bmv I have not been convicted of anything why would the courts take my drivers license?.
I have made payments since the vehicle was purchased for me and I drove it off the car lot. I have deposit money, insurance, gap insurance the car has never gone without insurance. I did miss 6 payments and I did return the vehicle after the police called and told me I had to give my ex boyfriend my car because it was in his name and if I didn't they would file a warrant for my arrest. They filed a warrant two days after the vehicle was handed over.

My ex boyfriend and I agreed that he would give me time to make the payments and we agreed that if I could not make the payments by March 2008 when the tags expired that he and I would sell the vehicle or he would trade it in. Everything would have been fine I was offered a great job but the warrant that was filed kept me from getting the job and I have proof of that. At no time did my ex call or email and tell me he had changed his mind and that he wanted the car. He has a copy of a letter that he says he mailed it was not certified and I never got the letter, email or call.

Now there is another court date and my attorney does not show up to court time earlier than 9:30 am so I am sure he won't be at the next one. What should I do I am not interested in filing any charges against my attorney I just one an attorney that will fight for me. I can't ask any questions to my current attorney In his own words the last time I ask a question and he answered it. I had six more questions and he screamed that was why he hated answering questions.

Should I wait to see what the lieu of convictions is about or hire a criminal trail attorney now and if so what can I say to my current attorney not to rock the boat. In no way do I want him representing me if I go to trail and I am thinking theirs going to be a trail now for sure.

I surely need some advice and I truly am seeking it. I am not interested in anyone responding that thinks they are above it all. Or wants to vent on me live your own life and maybe you will never need any advice or help from anyone.:rolleyes: Believe me its not that hard to get be hide on your bills but is this what it's coming down to people are sent to jail for it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">