• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclassified Felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jolette

I was just wondering what the level of an unclassified felony is...is it in the lower of the severity (like close to misdemeanor) or is it in the higher severity of the felony degrees?

H

HugoOrtega

I never heard of this category. As far as I know there are no such things as "unclassified felonies" You can't be accused of a crime that is not in the books.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HugoOrtega:
I never heard of this category. As far as I know there are no such things as "unclassified felonies" You can't be accused of a crime that is not in the books.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then it is a good job you are not an attorney.. :)

When you have an unclassified xxxx then the sentence imposed will be fixed by the court, and will be in accordance with the sentence specified in the law or ordinance that defines the actual crime.

H

HugoOrtega

But if it's an "Unclassified Felony" Then there is no description or sentenced imposed.

As far as I remember, unclassified mean no description or identification.

That's why I'm not too sure of this category. I know in NY there are no such category "Unclassified Felony"

As far as I understand from the term, if taken literally, such a category would violate Due Process. You can't just make up a crime and call it a Unclassified Felony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">