• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Alcohol Consumption/ID Card Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbruggeman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My friend called 911 after she brought me home from drinking one night, I was highly intoxicated and the police responded. Our neighbor, who had not been drinking, and my friend, who had also been drinking, were questioned by the police officer. My neighbor said he had just responded to help her get me into the house and after seeing my state insisted that my friend call 911. My friend told them that we had been at the bar, both of us are underage, and then when she brought me home I was unconcious so she called 911 for help. The officer asked for the IDs that we used to get into the bar and she handed him my ID and an ID of another one of our friends who was also at the bar. She had used my ID (underage ID) and I had used our friends. There is no proof that I used the other ID other than what she told the officer in her intoxicated state. I was ticketed for Underage Alcohol Consumption and ID Card Violation. She was not ticketed at all.

Questions:
--Can I fight the ID ticket because there is no proof that it was used by me at the bar seeing as we were not arrested or had any interaction with the officer at the bar and because the IDs in the wallet carried into the bar was mine and our other friends, who was also at the bar?
--How do I go about approaching these violations because I cannot afford the fines and my court date it July 14, 2010.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

What specific code section are you charged with? It could be you are charged only with possessing the IDs and not using them to buy booze. Of course, if your friend confessed to the whole thing, that could be sufficient to convict you.

If you cannot afford legal counsel, and if this offense is sufficiently serious, at your arraignment (which, I suspect, is the July 14th court date) you can request counsel be appointed on your behalf.

FlyingRon

In Wisconsin it's illegal to carry a fake id that says you are 21 when you are not even if you are not using it to buy liquor (Wisc. Stat. 343.50). They found the card on you, that's all the PROOF they need.

You'll need to go to the courthouse (no later than your court date) and see if you can get on a payment plan (if they do that). You may have to appear in court, anyhow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">