• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage alcohol sale in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

King-of-fools

What is the name of your state?

Tempe, Arizona

Sold alcohol to a minor by mistake...didnt ask for I.D. (Damn I feel stupid)

Curious as to what penalties I'm looking at. Btw this wasnt a sting...the minor was cought and the police trailed the purchase back to me and then I was given a citation and order to appear in court. (Wierd though...I was allowed to continue selling alcohol for the rest of the night.) I made a mistake and am not contesting my guilt.

I would like to get some advice as to how to approch things at the hearing...In our company documentation the word "felony" is all over the place and I'm scared as hell...I'd hate to be paying for this lapse in judgement for the rest of my life. What penalties am I looking at?

King-of-fools

Happy Trails

King-of-fools said:
What is the name of your state?

Tempe, Arizona

Sold alcohol to a minor by mistake...didnt ask for I.D. (Damn I feel stupid)

Curious as to what penalties I'm looking at. Btw this wasnt a sting...the minor was cought and the police trailed the purchase back to me and then I was given a citation and order to appear in court. (Wierd though...I was allowed to continue selling alcohol for the rest of the night.) I made a mistake and am not contesting my guilt.

I would like to get some advice as to how to approch things at the hearing...In our company documentation the word "felony" is all over the place and I'm scared as hell...I'd hate to be paying for this lapse in judgement for the rest of my life. What penalties am I looking at?

King-of-fools
Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and/or up to $2,500 in fines.

King-of-fools

Thanks, that helps...

Thank you for the response...After a little research I have found that the court have several options on sentencing...as in one or both for the listed penalties and amount of the fine.

What do you think it will come out as for a first offense?

Thankyou in advance...

KoF

Happy Trails

King-of-fools said:
Thank you for the response...After a little research I have found that the court have several options on sentencing...as in one or both for the listed penalties and amount of the fine.

What do you think it will come out as for a first offense?

Thankyou in advance...

KoF
Well you know that you made a mistake. IMO, you will be a good candidate for a "deferred sentence". If the prosecution agrees, then you would be given certain conditions to follow and once they all have been satisfied then no permanent record of the crime will be made.

King-of-fools

Fine involved?

HT,

I talked to one of the officers involved and he said pretty much the same thing about the deferment program...curious though...do you know if there is still a fine involved if you go this route and are there costs for the classes they send you to?

Again, thank you in advance...

KoF

Happy Trails

King-of-fools said:
HT,

I talked to one of the officers involved and he said pretty much the same thing about the deferment program...curious though...do you know if there is still a fine involved if you go this route and are there costs for the classes they send you to?

Again, thank you in advance...

KoF
IMO, (and of course no one can say for sure) there most likely will be a fine, and if classes are part of the agreement and there are costs--the state isn't going to pick up that expense.

Please post back with the outcome.

King-of-fools

Outcome: Class 1 Misdemeanor, 250.00 fine

Actually not too bad. I plead guilty and they let me go with a fine of 100.00, with other court costs and a payment fee it totals out to 250.00.

It was also explained to me that as long as the fine has been paid...in six months I can submit paperwork to get it off my record.

The problem with this kind of situation is that you pretty much lose your job. My people let me stay on, so I negotiated for only a three month payment plan. After a month though...they suspended me without pay...and most likely will be let go to protect themselves. If I had it to do over, I would have negotiated as much time to pay off the fine as the court would allow. Unless of course you have the money and plenty of time to find a new job.

Thanks for all the help,
KoF

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">