• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking - 19 years of age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dokukachoo

I was given a court date for underage drinking. I had been walking when this took place. What will happen in court? Please be detailed, including sentencing, fines, questions I'll be asked, things to keep in mind, potential for community service, etc..

I have no money and had gone to orientation the afternoon of said incident. I want to join the National Guard more than anything else, but I have to pay off previous fines and stay cool with Uncle Sam. I would like to be able to pay off all fines through community service - is any of this information useful?

The officer asked me if I had been drinking, I said yes. He did not specify what had been drank, though. He also did not use a breath analyzer on me. Is this information useful? If so, how?

Thank you for your responses, all help is very much appreciated. I live in Ohio.

Last edited:

justalayman

well, that question you were asked that you refused to answer is really important if you want any answers.

do you have any prior convictions of any kind?

Dokukachoo

well, that question you were asked that you refused to answer is really important if you want any answers.

do you have any prior convictions of any kind?
What do you mean by "well, that question you were asked that you refused to answer is really important if you want any answers."? I don't understand.

What constitutes as a conviction? I have two tickets, one for posession of marijuana and the other for driving without a valid license. They were nothing more than citations, and court was not mandatory.

CdwJava

What do you mean by "well, that question you were asked that you refused to answer is really important if you want any answers."? I don't understand.
Laws vary by state. Without knowing what state you were in and what statutes you have been accused of violating, any real answer is nearly impossible.

What constitutes as a conviction? I have two tickets, one for posession of marijuana and the other for driving without a valid license. They were nothing more than citations, and court was not mandatory.
A "conviction" requires a plea of "guilty" or "no contest" or a verdict by a court of "guilty."

The military will not be concerned with infractions for the most part, but if these are misdemeanors in your state, they may have seek a waiver if they have any interest in you art all.

Dokukachoo

Laws vary by state. Without knowing what state you were in and what statutes you have been accused of violating, any real answer is nearly impossible.

A "conviction" requires a plea of "guilty" or "no contest" or a verdict by a court of "guilty."

The military will not be concerned with infractions for the most part, but if these are misdemeanors in your state, they may have seek a waiver if they have any interest in you art all.
I'm in Ohio. The only thing written on the court summons was 'underage consumption'. Assuming the worst, what could happen? And assuming general conduct, what's likely?

Also, what is a waiver?

Last edited:

CdwJava

I'm in Ohio. The only thing written on the court summons was 'underage consumption'. Assuming the worst, what could happen? And assuming general conduct, what's likely?

Also, what is a waiver?
The waiver is what the military might have to obtain from the higher ups if they want you to come in with a conviction. They are not uncommon, and as long as this is the only offense and they do not lead to probation or custody time, then chances are it won't even be an issue.

As for the offense, without knowing whether this is a state or a municipal offense, no one can say what will happen to you until you get any paperwork that has statutes (code sections) on them. Chances are you are looking at fines and community service, but I am just guessing.

Dokukachoo

Hey, if the officer only asked if I had been drinking (Not specifying what I had been drinking) and did not take a breath analyzer test - can I plead not guilty due to insufficient evidence or something of that sort? This information must be useful some how.

CdwJava

Hey, if the officer only asked if I had been drinking (Not specifying what I had been drinking) and did not take a breath analyzer test - can I plead not guilty due to insufficient evidence or something of that sort? This information must be useful some how.
The officer's testimony as to your breath and any statements made can be sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">