• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

z10silver

What is the name of your state? PA

I am 18 and was recently charged with underage drinking (blew .1). The fine came to $418.50. My question is what do I do if I cannot afford to pay the fine? The receipt that the officer gave me says that I must send in the money within 10 days along with a plea of guilty or not guilty. He also said that he would recommend community service to the judge. I assume I must plea guilty as I obviously am guilty, but does this mean I automatically have to pay the fine? In other words, can I plead guilty and still have a trial to see if I could possibly get a lesser sentence with the recommendation of the police officer? Some people have advised me to plead 'not guilty' but I do not see how this would work as I don't have any argument...

I appreciate any help I can get.

S

seniorjudge

Plead guilty. Ask the judge if you can work off the fine and costs by doing community service.

The judge may ask you a lot of questions, including, "If you cannot afford to pay your fine, how did you buy the booze?"

Hint: Do not say, "My friends bought it for me." The judge will not believe that. Be honest.

If you go to court and you are clean, professionally dressed, and polite, you will go a long way. Attend court beforehand to see what happens. Don't wear any message shirts. Be humble.

z10silver

Thanks for the info. One question: How do i plead guilty AND meet with the judge? The citation receipt says that if I plead guilty I should just send in the fine and not have a court date?

Zach

S

seniorjudge

z10silver said:
Thanks for the info. One question: How do i plead guilty AND meet with the judge? The citation receipt says that if I plead guilty I should just send in the fine and not have a court date?

Zach
Show up in court; call the clerk for a date; tell the clerk you want to plead not guilty. When you get to court, say you have changed your mind and then plead guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">