• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soccermom71

State of Texas....What are the rules for contributing to a minor? Do you have to physically put the drink in the minors hand? Or are you guilty if you were condoning it and drinking with them?

dmcc10880

State of Texas....What are the rules for contributing to a minor? Do you have to physically put the drink in the minors hand? Or are you guilty if you were condoning it and drinking with them?
It depends on who you are.

TABC Code 106.06
(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or with criminal negligence makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor.

(b) A person may purchase an alcoholic beverage for or give an alcoholic beverage to a minor if he is the minor's adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court, and he is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage.

(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

soccermom71

underage drinking

Let me be more specific...party goes on at a house, my son was there, was drinking underage, gets kicked off of explorer program he is involved in. Two advisors were present, neither did anything to prevent it, one continues to drink with my son and tells him that if he is going to drink with him, fill his glass to the top. My son took his punishment, but the "advisors" don't think they did anything wrong because they did not actually pour the drink. Just want to know what the law is. I am not going to press charges or anything, just want to be clear. (I have a meeting tonight and want to make sure I have all my facts straight)

dmcc10880

Let me be more specific...party goes on at a house, my son was there, was drinking underage, gets kicked off of explorer program he is involved in. Two advisors were present, neither did anything to prevent it, one continues to drink with my son and tells him that if he is going to drink with him, fill his glass to the top. My son took his punishment, but the "advisors" don't think they did anything wrong because they did not actually pour the drink. Just want to know what the law is. I am not going to press charges or anything, just want to be clear. (I have a meeting tonight and want to make sure I have all my facts straight)
In that case, delete subsection (b) from my previous post and you have your answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">