• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking Citation-1st offense-guidance needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjl1105

Underage Drinking Citation-Anyone else have any other advice?

What is the name of your state? PA. Our daughter (age 18) was issued a citation at a busted drinking party for underage drinking that stated "Cosumed 1 12oz can of (cant remember the name of the beer listed) - underage drinking". She was not drinking at the party. She is always the DD as she does not drink. We have a strong history of alcoholism in our family and she has had early education on a very personal level. When asked if she was drinking she thought she would get in more trouble by saying *no*, so she told the officer she had 1 beer and offered to take a breath test. The officer refused to allow her to take a breath test, and instead wrote the citation as above. Also, the citation is marked as "On View Arrest" instead of "Citation/Summons" , is this correct? What to do? Pleade guilty or not? Get an attorney? By the way, this was in PA at an off campus party, and we live in NJ....Thanks!

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bjl1105 said:
What is the name of your state? PA. Our daughter (age 18) was issued a citation at a busted drinking party for underage drinking that stated "Cosumed 1 12oz can of (cant remember the name of the beer listed) - underage drinking". She was not drinking at the party. She is always the DD as she does not drink. We have a strong history of alcoholism in our family and she has had early education on a very personal level. When asked if she was drinking she thought she would get in more trouble by saying *no*, so she told the officer she had 1 beer and offered to take a breath test. The officer refused to allow her to take a breath test, and instead wrote the citation as above. Also, the citation is marked as "On View Arrest" instead of "Citation/Summons" , is this correct? What to do? Pleade guilty or not? Get an attorney? By the way, this was in PA at an off campus party, and we live in NJ....Thanks!

My response:

You weren't there; so, you really don't know what was going on. Unfortunately, she WAS there, and so WAS the police officer. She's 18, so let her take her "lumps" and learn MORE about alcoholism through the court process. It will be a good learning lesson for her.

IAAL

bjl1105

Thankyou IAAL for your response

You are right. I was not there. I also agree that she should take her lumps. She knew better. Is it necessary for her to have an attorney for this type of citation? I am not sure if it was an arrest or a citation. What would be the minimum/maximum fines, sentences etc for this type of crime? thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">