• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage drinking - guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nmadds

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am a college student in Philadelphia and one night two months ago I was walking home with a friend of mine. We had been at a bar earlier that night and had a few drinks. I was planning on stopping by another friends house who lived a block to pick up some notes so he was basicly on the way. Well needless to say I never made it there. Right near the friends appartment who I was walking home I stopped to urinate behind a tree. I'll admit it was a stupid idea. A few seconds later I was accosted by an officer in an unmarked car followed by another police vehicle. The cops began questioning me and basicly informed me that they had seen what I was doing. One cop who took my license and student I.D. sat in the car and began writing up a ticket. I was initially a bit upset and worried that I was going to be slapped with a massive fine which did not have the money for. However, the other cops at the scene told me to calm down and that it would only be a 50 dollar public urination fine. This seemed to put my mind at ease until the cop stepped out of the car with a stack of papers. Immeadiatley the other officers appeared shocked and surprised. I was asked to sign the papers layed down on the hood before me. Trying to be as polite as possible and unconfrontational I asked if it would be possible that I read them first before I signed them. I was told to sign my name on the dotted line and if I did not comply promptly I was to be taken downtown. After I signed I was told that I was also given a citation for underage drinking. I was completely baffled by this. I was NOT holding an alcoholic beverage in my hand and had NOT admitted to drinking. In addition, I was turning 21 in about a month and a half! When I brought this to their attention the cop who had issued the paperwork told me I had thrown a cup of beer out when they had come up to me. When I angerily asked him where the cup was I was told to shut up. This was complete fabrication on their part. The truth was I had been drinking but there was absolutely no proof. I wasnt even issued a breathalizer. And as for the cup - well that was a complete lie.
To make a long story slightly shorter, I had a court appearance where I was given three options: Plead guilty, Plead not guilty, or take a plea bargin which consisted of an alcohol class and a licence suspension. Unfortunatley becasue I had been picked up for underage drinking when I was 16 they informed me I woudl receive a years suspension. Well this was just too much. I was fed up to begin with over what I felt was completely ridiculous charges so I decided my best bet would be to plead not guilty. I decided to chance the 500 dollar fine, permenant record, and year long licence suspension. This friday I go for my court appearnce for underage drinking. I have been 21 years of age for a month now. My question is, do I really have any chance? What is to protect me from these cops completely fabricating a series of events. It seems only logical that the judge will take their word over mine. My friends who have been in similar situations say the officers developed a story to their liking and the judge did not even bat an eye before handing out the fine. I have a very solid internship right now and I'm in a top tier school and all this could be jeoprodized by a loss of license. If I'm guilty then thats the price I'll have to pay. But if not, how do I protect myself? I have no money for a lawyer and my parents are not involved. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">