• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage possession of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dark Helmet

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hi, a couple days ago I received a citation for "Possession of alcohol underage." The scenario was, a roommate of mine was throwing a party, the cops came, told everyone to leave and gave me the minor in possession ticket, as well as a host nuisance party ticket.

There was a keg in visible sight. When the cop walked through the door, he noticed me holding a generic red cup. I set the cup down, and walked upstairs to talk to the officer. He asked me what I was drinking, and I replied "kool aid." It seemed like he got mad, and then wrote up the MIP.

He did not give me a breathilizer, or even ask to smell the contents of the cup I was drinking from, nor did he collect a sample of the stuff i was drinking.

My question is, should I just pay the $147 dollar fine, or go to court on the basis that there is no evidence that I had been drinking? I was not intoxicated in the least...

Does "constructive possession" apply in the situation?

Thanks,

Charlie

P

Pfaffing85690

You do not have to have drank nor is a breathalyzer required for a MIP citation. You were in the house and in possession.

Case Closed.

HomeGuru

Dark Helmet said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hi, a couple days ago I received a citation for "Possession of alcohol underage." The scenario was, a roommate of mine was throwing a party, the cops came, told everyone to leave and gave me the minor in possession ticket, as well as a host nuisance party ticket.

There was a keg in visible sight. When the cop walked through the door, he noticed me holding a generic red cup. I set the cup down, and walked upstairs to talk to the officer. He asked me what I was drinking, and I replied "kool aid." It seemed like he got mad, and then wrote up the MIP.

He did not give me a breathilizer, or even ask to smell the contents of the cup I was drinking from, nor did he collect a sample of the stuff i was drinking.

My question is, should I just pay the $147 dollar fine, or go to court on the basis that there is no evidence that I had been drinking? I was not intoxicated in the least...

Does "constructive possession" apply in the situation?

Thanks,

Charlie
**A: since the "kool aid" was beer, you are guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">