• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kj8911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have had a claim open for unemployment benefits since august of 09 after I was laid off from the job I am currently working now. I returned to work for them on March 23rd of this year, however I have still been collecting unemployment benefits up until this time, in the amount of around $4000. I know I am going to have to make amends to the $4000, but what would be my best course of action to avoid any criminal charges, or having to go to court, etc. I have no criminal record, and August of 09 is the first time I have ever collected unemployment benefits. Thanks in advanced.

kj8911

I don't have the money to pay then back in full, if I did I would be in this mess in the first place.. what are my payment options, could you get a little more in depth?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your payment options are whatever the UI office in your state say they are.

swalsh411

You may be looking at criminal penalties or you may not. Better?

The crystal ball is in the shop. If you came here looking for assurance that you won't get in trouble criminally you aren't going to get. What you did is fraud.

You will need to contact them to find out what payment options may be available. The sooner the better. They they WILL find out because your employer's first or second quarter (depending on when you were first paid) unemployment tax return will show your SSN with wages with wages for that period.

kj8911

well obviously I came here looking for whether I would not get criminal charges, and also advice, that what this forum is for. But since the crystal ball is broken I guess ill have to just call them and find out, which is what I planned on doing in the first place, I just wanted to see if what I should expect and what i should do BEFORE I do that, but thanks for all the help.

cyjeff

well obviously I came here looking for whether I would not get criminal charges, and also advice, that what this forum is for. But since the crystal ball is broken I guess ill have to just call them and find out, which is what I planned on doing in the first place, I just wanted to see if what I should expect and what i should do BEFORE I do that, but thanks for all the help.

Fine.

Expect criminal charges.

Expect to be treated like crap because you are stealing from the state while it is trying to provide for thousands of people that NEED what you are stealing.

Expect to be told to bring full restitution immediately.

Expect that a failure to do so may result in a charge for every week you signed in for benefits that were not appropriate.

Expect that your new employer will be contacted to find out exactly when you started.

Expect that your new employer will not enjoy finding out he is employing a thief.

Expect that when you get fired and ask for unemployment, all you hear is laughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">