• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trinden

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I received unemployment benefits for one week while i was working.My benefits was $409,but my first check was $218.When i reported my earnings i did not tell them i was working.I know this is some kind of fraud but i'm not sure what is going to happen.I do not want to go to jail and i'm willing to pay the money back.
When i contacted the unemployment office they told me they have to investigate the matter.
Could anyone tell me what would happen.Could i go to jail for this?
Please help me

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I received unemployment benefits for one week while i was working.My benefits was $409,but my first check was $218.When i reported my earnings i did not tell them i was working.I know this is some kind of fraud but i'm not sure what is going to happen.I do not want to go to jail and i'm willing to pay the money back.
When i contacted the unemployment office they told me they have to investigate the matter.
Could anyone tell me what would happen.Could i go to jail for this?
Please help me
The fact that you came clean and self-reported to the unemployment office should work in your favor, but only to the extent that you won't be arrested. (For such a small amount, they probably wouldn't seek criminal charges anyway.)

However, you'll probably face repercussions from the Unemployment Department. First, you will have to repay the overpayment. Secondly, you may face other penalties on top of the amount of the overpayment including a monetary penalty and/or a period of ineligibility. And last, it could affect your eligibility in future unemployment claims.

trinden

Re:unemployment fraud

When i said,when i reported my earnings,i meant,i filed for unemployment while i was working,but did not tell them i was working.They are the ones that contacted me.Would that make a difference?

LdiJ

When i said,when i reported my earnings,i meant,i filed for unemployment while i was working,but did not tell them i was working.They are the ones that contacted me.Would that make a difference?
Yes, but you still aren't going to have to go to jail for it. You will just have to pay it back and may be ineligible for unemployment for a while.

commentator

Okay, let me see if I understand this. You filed for a week of unemployment benefits...which means that you yourself, of your own volition, while going to work every day, went on line or called the system and filed a claim, represented that you were laid off due to lack of work, were approved, and got paid? This sounds very unlikely!

Was it a situation of where the company filed for a week of partial benefits, or you filed for a week of partial unemployment benefits because you said you didn't get to work that particular week, though you were still job attached? It also sounds as though your weekly benefit was reduced, probably due to some wages being reported for you. This causes me to think that perhaps this week was reported as partial unemployment benefits by the employer. But you need to ask the unit exactly how the overpayment occurred. If you totally didn't understand how it was supposed to be reported, and it was reported incorrectly for you, this will matter.

Because in the first case, it was outright fraud. You lied, said you weren't working when you were, said you were laid off due to lack of work, when you weren't, you fraudulently filed a claim and the company should have been asked to verify your reason for being off, and this would be how you were caught,( though eventually it would have shown up due to payroll records anyway.) The system cross matches everyone who receives unemployment for a week with everyone who shows up on the Maryland unemployment payroll record system as working for wages during that week. There is zero potential for getting away with it.

But sometimes, when the company or the individual files for partial unemployment, it's due to a misunderstanding of when they are going to be paid or what will happen, sometimes people don't even understand that the claim has been filed for them, many circumstances could be in play here.

Or did you go back to work after a period of unemployment and go on and file for that first week you worked because you weren't going to be paid for it by the employer for two weeks? That's also fraudulent. Common as dirt, lots of people do this, but they never get away with it.

This will all be thoroughly researched by the fraud and overpayment unit. They are your friends right now, though, as they tend to give leniency to those who work with them and are willing to pay the money back and cooperate. Those who ignore them do so at their peril, as those are the people who get made an example of. So talk to them, work with them, and see if you can get this money restored to the system. Whether or not they give you penalties will depend a lot on the circumstances and whether you work with them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">