• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorilynn04

im in arizona and being investigated for unemployment fraud..my attorney says this can be handled and charges can be lessoned to a mistaminor..i haven't been charged yet..how long does the az attorney generals office take to notify me if im being charged

Proserpina

im in arizona and being investigated for unemployment fraud..my attorney says this can be handled and charges can be lessoned to a mistaminor..i haven't been charged yet..how long does the az attorney generals office take to notify me if im being charged
Ask your attorney first thing in the morning.

lorilynn04

unemployment

i was just asking a question..by no means am i giving all details about my case..i thought this was a helpful forum..

commentator

I would like to know what stage your unemployment fraud case is in. Have you actually gotten a decision from the agency telling you that you are being charged with fraud, or merely a letter stating that you are just now being investigated? Since as it appears, you have retained counsel, which I would in most cases advise against unless you have actually been charged in civil court with such fraud, you should let this counsel guide you through the process.

No arguments of innocence or need or desperation will be considered. The agency has very efficient ways of determining if you have committed fraud, and they can see exactly what has happened in regard to your unemployment in most cases. That is why it is totally stupid to commit this kind of fraud, because thousands of people attempt it every day. They see that you did it, they know that you did it, they don't care why you did it, and they are primarily interested in getting their money back, not so much in prosecuting every case. That would clog the court system to the point of total inactivity.

An attorney will not be able to get you any more leniency or consideration WITH THE AGENCY than you would have gotten otherwise. However, if this case has already been filed with the courts, you have been recommended for prosecution, you certainly need that attorney at this point.

When the unemployment system detects or suspects fraud, the first thing they do is an agency investigation. If you avoid them, fail to respond to their communications or refuse to cooperate with the agency investigation, they can recommend that the d.a. press charges against you for unemployment fraud.

Not everyone who is determined to have committed unemployment fraud is charged with anything, even a misdemeanor. This is assuming you have agreed to a repayment program and cooperated with the agency investigation.

Unemployment fraud is not like murdering your wife, where you clam up and get an attorney and don't discuss the case. You are not immediately involved with the court system.

I agree with whoever told you it could take up to a year. If you are allowing the agency investigation to proceed without your input and assistance, you very well may be a year down the road receiving notice that you are being prosecuted.

lorilynn04

unemployment

i have recived a letter from the investigaor and have spoken with him. and he has not submitted the report amd no court papers have been submitted yet i have sent a payment to the overpayment dept and my lawyer says it can drag on for a year or 2 so i am sending payments until i hear otherwise .

Proserpina

i have recived a letter from the investigaor and have spoken with him. and he has not submitted the report amd no court papers have been submitted yet i have sent a payment to the overpayment dept and my lawyer says it can drag on for a year or 2 so i am sending payments until i hear otherwise .
There's your answer!

:cool:

commentator

You will very likely not be charged with anything, including a misdemeanor. If you pay it off, that's the way they will MOST LIKELY let it go and there will be no charges filed against you. And your lawyer did exactly what for you?

lorilynn04

unemployment

my lawyer will negotiate and allow me 9months to pay off in full with a 388fine..very tought lesson on me and i have DEFINATELY LEARNED MY LESSON

commentator

When you are first investigated for unemployment fraud, you are not being charged with a crime. But I am glad you got it straightened out. As I said, it is about the dumbest kind of cheating to do, because they expect people to try to do it and back everything you tell them up and catch it almost every time.

lorilynn04

unemployment

yes it is..and im glad i retained an attorney early in all of this..and come to find out i guess they have hundreds of these cases in Arizona..i m glad my attorney is very famiiar with how to get these resolved quickly and without a felony conviction...my actions have most definitely taught me a lesson

commentator

yes it is..and im glad i retained an attorney early in all of this..and come to find out i guess they have hundreds of these cases in Arizona..i m glad my attorney is very famiiar with how to get these resolved quickly and without a felony conviction...my actions have most definitely taught me a lesson
Not hundreds, thousands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">