• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment fraud issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billa1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hi, I started a new job about 4 weeks back. For the first week I have filed for unemployment and realized that it was a fraud and immediately called the unemployment office and notified them about the mistake. Today I received a notice that they contacted my current employer for my wages paid information etc. and also the notice say I may be criminally prosecuted. Just for one week wrongly filing is the mistake I made and I notified the state immediately. Am I in trouble? WIll they arrest me?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No and no.

Where you have already self-reported the mistake, the chances of prosecution are about zero. Prosecution is usually reserved for those claimants who refuse to cooperate in any attempts to resolve the situation. No doubt what you received was a boilerplate letter where not everything is applicable to you. At worst you'll have to repay the benefits received in error. Don't forget that you are dealing with a bureaucracy; the right hand and the left hand likely are not in touch with each other.

commentator

Call the number on your notice. Tell them you have been overpaid one week, work with them regarding what you need to do about paying back the overpayment. If you ignore the notice, or get an attorney and have them call the agency and try to "defend" you, be prepared to pay substantial penalties. If you really delay contact, you might be moving toward the area of being prosecuted. But believe me, thousands and thousands of people try this every week in every state, and they are much more interested in getting their overpayment money back than they are interested in putting people in jail. Your getting back with them promptly is the key. Right now you do not have a "crime" going, nothing that will be on your record forever, or anything like that. "First paycheck syndrome" is remarkably common. Since most employers hold you back a week, there is a week at the beginning of your new job when you do not receive a paycheck immediately for the week you have worked. It is tempting to file for that last week of unemployment fraudulently for that one. The system always catches you, so pay it back, don't do it again.

billa1

Call the number on your notice. Tell them you have been overpaid one week, work with them regarding what you need to do about paying back the overpayment. If you ignore the notice, or get an attorney and have them call the agency and try to "defend" you, be prepared to pay substantial penalties. If you really delay contact, you might be moving toward the area of being prosecuted. But believe me, thousands and thousands of people try this every week in every state, and they are much more interested in getting their overpayment money back than they are interested in putting people in jail. Your getting back with them promptly is the key. Right now you do not have a "crime" going, nothing that will be on your record forever, or anything like that. "First paycheck syndrome" is remarkably common. Since most employers hold you back a week, there is a week at the beginning of your new job when you do not receive a paycheck immediately for the week you have worked. It is tempting to file for that last week of unemployment fraudulently for that one. The system always catches you, so pay it back, don't do it again.
I spoke to an attorney this morning and I meeting him this afternoon. I will have him handle the case. After this whole thing is set and done, I will surely stop by here and provide an update of what has happened. I hope this wont' be a serious issue and just gets resolved soon.

billa1

You may be creating an adversarial relationship where none presently exists.
I think i like your thought process. What if I just have the Attorney direct me and I do the talking. Just keep the attornery in loop kind off?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is it your intention to immediately repay the amount you improperly collected?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think i like your thought process. What if I just have the Attorney direct me and I do the talking. Just keep the attornery in loop kind off?
Not my thought process - I'm just explaining what was already said above :)

billa1

Then call them (the state) and let them know you made a mistake and would like to repay the overpayment.
that is exactly what I said when I called in to report in the beginning. I think they are working through a process. Do you think it will just work out fine for me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">