• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ondehdl

What is the name of your state? GA

My sister made the mistake of collecting unemployment insurance ($930) for the first three weeks after she returned to work (while she waited for her first paycheck). What type of criminal charges is she facing and will she go to jail? Can a lawyer help her arrange a repayment plan with the GA department of labor and avoid any jail time? She is a single hard working mother and has never been in trouble before. I am really scared for her.What is the name of your state?

Heather2

Tell her to call unemployment to see if she can work out a payment plan. If they want to they can file charges on her but if she calls and explains it was an accident and she wants to pay them back they will usually work with her.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An accident? Hardly. You can't tell me she didn't know what she was doing. She told the unemployment office she wasn't working when she was. That is NOT an "accident".

But I don't think jail is very likely. She'll have to return the money she obtained fraudulently and she may have to pay a fine. But she won't go to jail.

She probably does not need an attorney at this stage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">